From The Diamond To The Gridiron, Gonzalez Looking To Step Up For Utes

Junior quarterback Brandon Cox (5) participates in spring practice at the Eccles Football Center, Thursday, March, 24, 2016. (Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Growing up, plenty of kids dream of playing in the big leagues. Whether it be baseball, basketball or football, it’s something a lot of kids aspire to do. That dream was starting to become a reality for Utah tight end Wallace Gonzalez.

Before making his way to Salt Lake City, Gonzalez played three years of Minor League Baseball for the Greeneville Astros, but then decided he needed a change. He wanted to go back to football, another passion of his, and at Utah he is able to do so.

Although football was not his main focus during those few years, the 23-year-old sophomore thinks he was able to grow a lot more during that time than he would have in a college setting.

“It was a typical minor league experience,” Gonzalez said. “Long bus rides, little towns. It was an experience, and I loved it, and it set me up to be successful here. I dont have the other issues that the freshmen have, the younger guys, so it gave me a chance to mature.”

In high school, he played wide receiver, and as a Ute, his position has changed to tight end. He was redshirted last season and was able to work up his football skills to where they once were and then some so that he could be competitive in this new, albeit familiar, environment. After a year of hard work and determination, it’s finally starting to show, not only to people in the stands, but to his coaches.

In the team’s most recent scrimmage, he caught three touchdowns, the most out of anyone on the receiving end for the day, and head coach Kyle Whittingham has taken notice. Whittingham considers that scrimmage his coming-out party and knows he has plenty to offer this team. The head coach likes what he is getting out of Gonzalez after that productive day and hopes he continues to play this way not only for the remainder of spring, but also in the fall.

“He’s athletic, he’s got size, he’s got agility, he can make you miss, and he’s starting to come around,” Whittingham said. “It’s been a learning curve for him, and he’s starting to figure it out, and it will be great for us if he can continue to make the plays he did today.”

Whittingham applauds Gonzalez’s efforts for making the transition from wide receiver to tight end and baseball to football, but contrary to what Whittingham believes, Gonzalez thinks the change has been a lot smoother than expected. Granted, it has been bumpy at times, but he has been able to see some similarities from the diamond on the football field.

That said, there are a few areas of his game he’s been dedicating a lot of his time to, improving to make himself a more complete player.

In baseball, he didn’t have much contact with the other players on the field, but even in high school as a wide receiver, his main job was to go out there, get open and catch the ball. At Utah, it’s all about the team and he has 100 percent bought into this.

Gonzalez had no issues switching positions and is working to improve blocking defensive linemen so other guys on the team can go out and make a play. This being his second year within the Utah system, he’s no longer guessing in certain situations — he now knows what to do and has a better grasp on the offense.

While Gonzalez has had to adjust to whatever situation he is presented with, one thing that will always remain the same is his will to win.

“It’s been fun, it’s a different mentality, but I’m a competitor and that’s one thing they can’t take away in either sport and it makes it a little easier,” Gonzalez said. “I played outfield, so running down and tracking a ball down is second nature to me. Obviously the blocking stuff is still in works, but I feel a lot better running routes and catching the ball.”

Although Gonzalez still has some things to work on — as does the rest of the team this spring — he hopes to become someone that Whittingham can rely on in the big moments. Last year, Whittingham heavily relied on Britain Covey, who is now serving a LDS mission, and Kenneth Scott, who is now graduated. He needs someone to step into their shoes to make the job easier for whoever the starting quarterback is, and maybe Gonzalez can be that guy.

“You got to have a couple of guys at least that you have a lot confidence in and you know can make the plays when they have to be made,” Whittingham said.

Gonzalez’s dreams have changed, and for the better in his opinion. He wants to contribute to the team in any way he can and will work tirelessly to become the best player he can be.

@kbrenneisen