Office Of Engagement Celebrates Community Service With “Do-A-Thon”

Office Of Engagement Celebrates Community Service With Do-A-Thon

Rain didn’t stop the U’s Office of Engagement from celebrating its fifth annual Community Engagement Day with the world’s first Do-A-Thon.

On April 14, Sandi Pershing, assistant vice president for engagement, said the day was initiated with U President David Pershing’s inauguration in 2012 to “celebrate the work that happens between the university and community.”

Although it was originally scheduled in the Union Plaza, the constant rain pushed ASUU and the Office of Engagement to move the event inside the Union by the ballroom and lobby.

“It’s nice having all the energy in the same place,” Pershing said.

What makes this Community Engagement Day different from the last four is the concept of a “Do-A-Thon”: a hands-on event where students, faculty and staff tie baby blankets and knit hats for the Road Home as well as donate money or food to the Feed U Food Pantry. All the activities were centralized in one area.

The University Credit Union provided a money booth where students could grab flying dollars in a large inflatable and were urged to donate it afterwards. Other sponsors included the Utah Food Bank, the Head Start program, the Bennion Center, University Health Care and more. Students could learn about different organizations and receive treats like candy and popcorn. About 10 organizations came out to show their involvement with homelessness and engagement.

The event also highlighted the different resources available to students on campus, said Liz Morales, presidential ambassador. One of these is the Feed U Food Pantry, located in the bookstore, which gives students access to affordable groceries.

Of the event, Sandi Pershing said it provides a great opportunity for students, faculty and staff to find different benefits within the community and allows people to give back.

@SidneyMarchant