Music Festival Goers Should Remember To Live In, Not Live Stream, The Moment

One of the quickest indicators that spring has officially sprung is the fact that music festivals have begun to once again grace deserted lots with people and tunes. Time to pull out those gladiator sandals and flower headbands and, of course, take a Snapchat or two — because pics or it didn’t happen, right?

Yes, welcome to the biggest social events of the year: music festivals. Forget the headlining bands — it’s all about the outfit, the shows and Instagram. This year is all about “going viral,” as every celebrity from Taylor Swift to Ice Cube walks the open grounds filled with thousands of people desperately trying to get a glimpse of fame.

Music festivals today no longer represent the power of music as much as the impact of the social scene. This is a shame: The focus of these events should be seeing great artists, bands and DJs who are under-appreciated for the quality of music they produce. I’m not saying people don’t initially flood a festival to see the artist or band, because they do. It’s just so often cluttered with people taking pictures of the scene rather than actually enjoying the music.

On top of that, a cluster of celebrities, vloggers and models flood the grounds, making the need to be seen more competitive. The social scene takeover is more dominant than festival food, which is sad because funnel cake honestly makes the music scene more enjoyable. Also, music festivals cost, on average, $300 for entry, which doesn’t take into account travel expenses and food. So why are so many people wasting time on their phones? This should be a time to live in the moment and focus on the music. Isn’t that why people come in the first place?

I’m not saying everyone does this or that nobody focuses on other aspects of festival life, such as food or enjoying the “scene.” It’s just that more individuals are interested in streaming everything live instead of living in the moment. Yes, documenting the experience can be both fun and entertaining, but don’t forget the reason why these events are a great experience: because they bring people together with music.

Enjoy the outfits, the celebrity sightings, even the sunburn on your shoulders. Music festivals are a time to vibe and enjoy artists of all kinds while jamming out to some of your favorite music. Just don’t forget that experience is richer than any picture or video that can be taken. Put your phone down and enjoy the scene around you. After all, we are all here to connect and inspire one another through the power and bonding of music. Throw your hands up in the air and let loose because music festival season is here.