“A Trip Down Memory Lane”: Saying Goodbye To OSH

The ceremony celebrating and mourning the end of one of the oldest and most infamous buildings on campus, Orson Spencer Hall (OSH), drew students, faculty and alumni alike on Friday.

The building, which will be demolished at the end of the summer, was built in the 1950s and has since earned the title of Worst Building on Campus, according to a 2015 edition of The Daily Utah Chronicle. For many in attendance, OSH is nothing more than an old building of the same quality as a rundown high school, and they were happy to know the building is being demolished.

Jaiden Kemp, a junior in electrical engineering, is happy to know she will never have to sit through another class in OSH ever again.

“Goodbye to this old creepy building,” Kemp said.

For others — mostly alumni — this was a sad day to give their final goodbyes. Bryce Williams said it will be strange for him to see it gone after seeing it on campus for the last 11 years. For others, like George Zine, who called the building “iconic” and who has seen OSH at the U for the best of 40 years, it will be even more strange.

Mourners and celebrants alike came into the building’s theater to take a trip down memory lane.

Cynthia Berg, dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Science, and Ruth Watkins, senior vice president for Academic Affairs, spoke on their memories of the buildings. Following them was a panel discussion where students, alumni and staff spoke about OSH. Closing off memories was a film where those who could not make it told their favorite stories of the building.

A particularly memorable story involved rescuing someone from a locked stall in one of the building’s bathrooms.

People could also purchase keepsake bricks for $10, sign steel beams that were once a part of OSH and sign a postcard that will go into a time capsule.

The new building that is to replace OSH should be completed in 2018, according to the Facilities Management construction project page.

Whether the attendees were happy or sad for the building’s impending destruction, both sides easily agreed on two things: the destruction of OSH needs to be done and is long overdue.

“It’s an icon, but it’s time to move on,” Zine said.

For an interactive history of OSH, visit dailyutahchronicle.com/history-of-osh/.

@chris_ayers