Grand Kerfuffle Gives Crowd A Great Show Despite Rain

Coachella doesn’t have anything on The Grand Kerfuffle.

It rained the entire time, but that didn’t stop the approximately 200 attendees from having a good time. The doors opened at 4 p.m. and people filtered in and out until 10 p.m. Friday brought groups such as Icona Pop, while Saturday brought J.I.D., Pigeon John, iloveMakonnen and the much-anticipated Earl Sweatshirt.

Judging by their attire, the crowd was populated primarily by OG Earl Sweatshirt fans, but they had to wait for a bit until he took the stage.

The DJ for Makonnen performs at the Grand Kerfuffle in the Union Lawn on Saturday, April 23, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

First was J.I.D., a rapper from Atlanta whose musical flow has been compared to Kendrick Lamar’s. During his set he said it feels cool that he is compared to an amazing lyricist and artist such as Lamar. Following him was Pigeon John, a Los Angeles-based rapper with six studio albums under his belt.

iLoveMakonnen is a hip hop artist based in Atlanta. He rose to fame after his hit song “Club Goin’ Up on a Tuesday” was remixed by Drake, who changed the name to “Tuesday.” iLoveMakonnen’s smooth delivery was the embodiment of the term swag and left the audience pumped for the final act.

Earl Sweatshirt, a former member of the hip hop group Odd Future, has released two studio albums, with his most recent coming out last year, titled “I Don’t Like S—, I Don’t Go Outside.” His set was populated with oldies and some newer songs from his more recent album.

Earl Sweatshirt performs at the Grand Kerfuffle in the Union Lawn on Saturday, April 23, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Sweatshirt was definitely the audience favorite of the night. Even students who had never heard him before enjoyed his performance, getting hooked right from the start. Others who had listened to him since junior high were ecstatic to hear him live.

The only thing putting a damper on the concert was the rain. But as the concert kept playing, the audience became so absorbed in the music that they forgot about their surroundings. In fact, some concert attendees seemed to think that the rain amplified the music.

The next ASUU-hosted concert, Redfest, will take place at the beginning of Fall Semester.

@_VintageBeau_