The Minimalist Movement Manifesto: Make Memories, Not Money

I walked away from 10 years of financial security, a 401k, great health benefits and all of that “adult” stuff that college preps us for. My decision was called “childish” and “impulsive.” I was criticized and scoffed at. My parents were worried. I was called a lot of things, but I should have just been called “happy.”

I relinquished my respectable title to delve into the underpaid world of nonprofit work. I never looked back. Every day I look forward to living out my life with meaning by pursuing individual happiness and idealism instead of comfortable paychecks and mundane survival routines in the nine-to-five world.

I’m not the only one. I am part of a minimalist movement that understands that money and status do not bring meaning and happiness into our lives. Growing up in a materialist society, we are starting to understand the social and environmental consequences of our gluttony and are choosing to rebel against the mechanisms that caused it.

We know that happiness isn’t found in the accumulation of possessions, fancy vehicles or expensive shoes. Happiness is achieved by sharing, creating and capturing memories. We understand impermanence and the fragility of life.

The minimalist movement rebels against the academic system that celebrates the STEM curriculum but neglects the humanities, arts and manual labor. Even though our academic institutions and cultural story celebrate those who have successes measured by titles and prestige, we celebrate diversity, uniqueness, passions and talents.

The minimalist movement advocates taking risks, making memories, embracing alternative methods of education and rejecting standard definitions of how society measures success. It is about the acquisition of experience, not expenditures. It is a lesson in simplicity and existing within limits; and not putting a dollar value to your spiritual ones. The movement quantifies happiness through methods that can’t be measured in Math 1050 or purchased on a credit card. The message is simple: do what makes you happy.