Veteran’s Services Provides Student Veterans With A Safe Haven

Veteran’s Services provides student veterans with much more than just figuring out how to use their G.I. Bill for school; it’s a place full of camaraderie, support and free coffee.

“The whole point [of Veterans Services] is, it’s a one stop service for Veterans,” said Director of Veteran’s Support Center, Roger Perkins.

Union Room 418 provides a space where student veterans are able to study, bounce ideas around with fellow veterans, use the computer lab and even enjoy a PB & J sandwich.

“How they’ve implemented this system…It’s a well-oiled machine,” recent graduate and veteran student, Glenn Mitchell said. “People are there on-site, if you need help or have questions, they’re there to point you in the right direction.”

According to Perkins, the goals of veteran students can differ from that of traditional students who are attending the U, primarily because veterans have already experienced the world in a completely different manner than their classmates. This program assists veteran students to get back into school, graduate and get back out into the professional world as quickly as possible.

“Most students are young and are just learning about life. These guys [veterans] are coming from a professional environment and professional salary,” Perkins said. “[Veteran] students are here at 7:00 a.m. studying and again at 6:00 p.m. They’re extremely focused on their accomplishments and getting out of here.”

Veteran’s Services allows service members to socialize with people who have shared similar life experiences, regardless of their major. That element alone is particularly helpful for veteran students while they are trying to earn a degree.

According to Mitchell, it can be a tough transition for military personnel to re-experience a civilian mindset after being trained to think in such a drastically different way.

“What you feel in a classroom is different than how other civilians feel. It’s nice to discuss information or something you’ve learned in class with other vets,” Mitchell said. “Most people have lived a civilian life and you have to sit and listen. [At times] it’s more difficult to digest certain information because you’ve experienced the awfulness of humanity.”

Along with the social aspect, other services provided are: counseling, free water bottles, unlimited printing at the computer lab, free coffee, tea, cocoa, assistance with answering questions regarding GI bills, help with classes, tutoring, guest speakers and even lunch with the Director himself – which takes place typically at the beginning and end of each semester.

According to Mitchell, sometimes service members are called out and have to miss classes. Veteran’s Services also assists in those rare instances when grades might be affected due to absences.

“It’s nice knowing that there’s someone there that will go to bat for you if you need them to” Mitchell said.

For more information, visit: http://registrar.utah.edu/veteran/. There are two offices, one which handles GI bill information and the Veteran Support Center which is located in Union 418.

“The best thing to do is come in,” Perkins said.

Mitchell spent a tour in Afghanistan as a Marine and is currently enlisted in the Utah National Guard. Mitchell Graduated from the U in May 2016 with a B.S. in Communication Studies and Sociology.

@ashatthechrony