U Grad Makes Fresh Fruit Cheaper On Campus

As busy college students, schedules are booked up to the last minute. Who has time for healthy meal prepping? The average college student doesn’t walk around with three healthy meals in their backpacks, so stopping at the local café on campus is usually a necessity to get through the day.

Recent graduate, Mark Shahata, noticed this pattern in his own schedule and was concerned about the healthy food choices available on campus. He noticed the high cost of available fruit and was displeased.

Shahata conducted a survey to determine what other students thought about the high prices of fruit on campus. From there, he contacted dining services at the U to see what he could do about affecting a healthy change in diets on campus.

“As a college student, I always found eating unhealthy was easier than grabbing some fruit or healthier options and that was either because unhealthy options were more accessible or they were cheaper,” said Shahata.

Shahata noticed that purchasing an apple or banana on campus would cost approximately $1.07, which seemed like an unreasonably high price. He wanted to find out if other students also felt that the fresh fruit on campus was overpriced.

By conducting his own survey, Shahata collected responses from 105 students at the U. Eighty percent of the students felt that $1.07 for fruit was an unfair price. Seventy-five percent of the students said that the high cost of fresh fruit on campus had deterred them from purchasing it.

Shahata continued his research by contacting other Pac-12 Universities. He was able to conclude that the U charges more for fresh fruit than other schools such as Berkeley and the University of Arizona. The University of Berkeley charges $0.75 for fruit and the University of Arizona charges $0.85.

After determining the problem was relevant on campus, Shahata continued his crusade. By compiling his research, he created an info-graphic, then met with Shannon Shultz and her team from the University of Utah Dining Services and told her of his complaint.

“They began pulling numbers to see if it would be feasible to begin lowering the cost,” said Shahata. “After a few weeks back and forth we finally were able to come to an end result.”

By discussing concerns and looking for solutions, Dining Services agreed to lower the cost of fresh fruit on campus to $.79, starting on May 9.

Mark’s campaign has lead to a healthy change on campus and also set an example to other students who want to affect change on campus.

“My advice to these students would be to jump right in and cease to hesitate. There are staff and faculty here who really want the best for our students, so if a student sees a change they want made on our campus, go for it. I guarantee there are countless other students with the same concern, hesitant to speak up, concerned that they may get shut down. Part of the college experience is speaking up and trying to make a positive difference on our campus and I hope that through this project people can see that making a difference is possible here at the University of Utah.”