Benefits of the UCard make being a student a little less rough

Visit the new UCard office in room 158 of the Student Union building. Photo credit: Christopher Ayers

Transitioning into a new school can be intimidating. The application process, and the subsequent wait for an answer, is stressful. Once you’re admitted, you have to apply for financial aid, attend new student orientation, register for classes and obtain a student ID.

Amidst all of the chaos and concern, a glimmer of hope is offered from somewhere students might not expect. This hope comes in the form of the UCard and it is much more than just a student ID. It delivers free admission to events and places, various discounts and numerous other benefits on campus and throughout the Salt Lake City area.

What is the UCard?

The UCard is the identification card distributed to students at the U. It includes students’ uNID, which is a unique number assigned to students that allows them to access the U’s networks and resources. The uNID is situated just below each individual’s photo. The card also features a 16-digit number that connects employees to the U’s payroll system.

Students’ UCards can also be used like a debit card – UCash allows students to add funds via the Blackboard app, the UCard office or at kiosks located around campus.

What does it give students access to?

The UCard gives students access to dorms, meal plans and the student testing center. It can also be used to check out books from the library.

What are the benefits?

Students can receive many discounts at numerous places with their student ID. It’s nearly impossible to list them all because there are so many, but here are a few:

· 10 percent discount at the Campus Store

· Free UTA transportation

· 15 percent discount at J. Crew and Madewell

· 10 percent discount at The Pie Pizzeria

· Free Amazon Prime for six months, unlimited photo storage with Prime Photos and a free three month trial with Audible

· 15 percent discount at Red Robin

· Free admission at Red Butte Gardens

· Discounted ski passes

· Discounted tickets to select performances at Kingsbury Hall

· Free and discounted access to various theaters and museums, including Hale Center Theatre, Ballet West, Utah Symphony and Utah Opera

· Free and discounted tickets to athletic events at the U

· And so much more

For more information about UCards, visit ucard.utah.edu or drop by the UCard office located in Union Room 158.

@ashatthechrony