Construction Underway With Big Renovation Plans For LNCO

Photo credit: Christopher Ayers

LNCO is just one of many renovation projects currently in progress on campus. The good news is LNCO, along with a few other construction projects, will be finished in time for the beginning of fall semester.

The University of Utah has undertaken not one, but three updates to the interior of LNCO. Improvements include the reconstruction of classrooms in order to create more space, the creation of the TEAL classroom and a full renovation of the administrative office for the College of Humanities. As for the exterior, all work being done is in preparation for the demolition of OSH.

The main construction goal for LNCO is to create more classroom space. In addition to the expansion of classrooms, the U is building a specialized space called the TEAL room. The TEAL room is a state-of-the-art learning classroom that will provide opportunities for students to interact with technology. The improvements to the College of Humanities administrative offices will modernize and improve the space and make it much easier for guests to locate.

“The classroom work inside of LNCO is driven, in part, by the need for space as a result of the OSH tear down which begins next week,” said Shireen Ghorbani, Facilities Management spokesperson. “OSH will undergo an abatement process through the summer and the full exterior will come down after the start of the fall semester.”

As most students and faculty at the U know, summer is a popular time for construction, especially since campus tends to be less crowded during summer semester. Remodels are often requested by individual departments, and are scheduled during times the departments and programs believe to be the most ideal and effective.

Although students and professors find the construction annoying and distracting, some students seem to be unaffected. “I think a lot of students complain about construction on campus, but when it’s complete, the renovations and new creations are exciting,” said William Hess, a student at the U.

For updates on the progress in LNCO and to learn about other construction projects on campus, visit facilities management’s website at facilities.utah.edu.