Singers Invited To SLCA’s Summer Choral Institute

Summer singers: whether you restrict your talents to your shower or are currently working toward a degree in music, you are wanted at the Salt Lake Choral Artists’ Summer Choral Institute, which has taken place every summer for the past 11 years.

“Our Summer Choral Institute concerts are a great way to introduce new singers to the Salt Lake Choral Artists, and to keep our current members involved during the break between seasons,” said Dr. Brady Allred, the artistic director and conductor of SLCA. “Last summer’s Choral Masterworks session had over 100 participants and we expect even more this summer. We already have the Phoenix Children’s Choir & Youth Choir signed up for the June session while they are here on tour.”

Auditions are not required and the time commitment is minor; they ask for a few hours on each of only three days, culminating in a concert on the final day directed by the renowned Allred, who was previously a tenured professor of music and director of choral studies at the U.

There are three different sessions taking place throughout the summer. June 8-10, another the second week in July, the 7-9, and a last session just before fall semester begins, from Aug. 18-20. Each will tackle different musical genres: pop music in June, Vivaldi and Rutter in July, and great choral anthems in August.

Lisa Browdy, media relations manager for the SLCA and singer with the group, joined SLCA after participating in one of these summer sessions. “When I first moved to Salt Lake a couple of years ago I was looking for a choir to join, and it was summer, and I was just like, ‘I’ll do this for a four-day period; I like the group, and I like the director, and then I’ll decide to join,’ and then that’s what happened, and that’s what I did.” According to Browdy, these sessions, now only three days long, are perfect for people with busy schedules. “It’s a very short commitment, so someone who loves to sing but has a really busy life can just do a few concerts in the summer and have a good time.”

The truly dedicated are welcome to participate in all three of the Summer Institute’s sessions. All you have to do to be a part of this summer’s opportunity is visit www.saltlakechoralartists.org/sci/. There is a fee attached to the program, reaching a total of $70 for all but SLCA members, and including the cost of music, which can be purchased at the same location. Rehearsals will be held at the SLCA building at 700 North 200 West in Salt Lake City, and the final rehearsal and concerts are performed at the First Baptist Church, 777 South 1300 East in Salt Lake City.

For Browdy, speaking on choirs and working with Dr. Allred specifically, “It’s all about creativity and joy and feeling like you’re a bunch of people working together for a big picture.”

@casey_koldewyn