Coffee Haunt: The Counsel Cafe is inviting with good brews

Photo credit: Erin West

In recent years, the U has seen an abundance of new buildings and facilities, each with its own perks. The S.J. Quinney College of Law Building opened less than a year ago, and with it the Counsel Café. The café is located on the second floor of the building, which can be accessed directly from the East side or up the stairs from the West side. Tucked on the opposite side of the information desk, the café provides both excellent service and delicious coffee.

The menu offers a variety of items, from breakfast sandwiches to cereal bars, alongside an excellent selection coffee beverages that most college students would be mindless zombies without.

As is the case with many of their products, the coffee is provided locally by Douglas Coffee Roasters, a business located right here in Salt Lake. The café supports other local businesses as well, and you can find out which ones are supported by their efforts by taking a look at the whiteboard near the snacks.

WEST_COUNSEL.jpg
Photo credit: Erin West

Servers are polite and extremely helpful. In my case, she was willing to chat while she made my order.

As for atmosphere, the dining area just outside the café is inviting, with large windows and plenty of space to sit and work. The only drawback to this location is the distance of the Quinney Law Building from most other buildings on campus. Even so, despite the fact that it was an area I don’t typically frequent, I found that I wanted to stay for the rest of the morning, and really, it isn’t all that inaccessible as it is located near the Stadium TRAX station.

Drip coffee comes in medium and dark roast, and customers can choose anything from honey to natural sugar for their sweetener. The café also has a large array of specialty coffees, like mochas and Americanos.

WEST_COUNSEL-5.jpg
Photo credit: Erin West
WEST_COUNSEL-3.jpg
Photo credit: Erin West

I tried the medium roast and found it not too dark, but with a deep, rich flavor. The overall taste has earthy tones and the roast itself still manages to maintain the natural sweetness of the coffee. It made for a delicious way to start the morning and I found myself savoring it far more than I usually do.

The Counsel Café is a delightful place to sit back and enjoy your coffee for the taste, not just for the caffeine. The Counsel Café is an excellent choice for any of your food or coffee needs while you’re on campus.

Rating: 4.5/5