Jennifer Napier-Pearce Joins Hinckley Institute Team

The Hinckley Institute of Politics may have lost its place in the historic OSH building, but that didn’t put a stop to hiring a fresh new face. Jennifer Napier-Pearce is the new Associate Communications Director for the organization, and is excited to be a part of something she respects and is passionate about.

“I want to tell the Hinckley story. There are a lot of great stories to tell—both student experiences and political expertise. Anything that I can do to transmit that information to the general public is my overarching goal” said Napier-Pearce.

Napier-Pearce has been with the Hinckley Institute for less than a month and is still getting the feel for the job, but has already started moderating for political debates. In fact, she had only been on the job a few days, when she was sent to St. George to moderate.

She has experience with live events and looks forward to the Hinckley’s hundreds of various political events. At this point in time she is learning her position and has not made definite plans for the Hinckley, but is excited for the future.

“[The Hinckley] is a very open place for ideas. If there’s something I want to pursue, I’m going to go for it.”

Napier-Pearce is an alumni of the U and had originally planned to be an educator. She majored in English, with a minor in Politics. She completed two internships with the Hinckley Institute; one in Washington D.C. with the Committee for Education Funding and the other with the Salt Lake City Council. When it came time for her to do student teaching at Granger High School, she realized she did not want to be an educator.

Napier-Pearce decided to pursue a career in journalism instead. After graduate school at Stanford, she came back to Utah and became involved with radio, working for KCPW and KUER. For the last three and a half years, she has worked as a journalist for The Salt Lake Tribune.

“In journalism, there is something new every day of your life. And the issues are important. It’s a creative and rewarding challenge—I loved everything about it” Napier-Pearce said.

Napier-Pearce will continue to be involved with the Salt Lake Tribune, as the Hinckley partners with them on political polling.

She is excited for her future with the Hinckley Institute and the interactions she will have with students. Her passion for life and journalism will be a huge asset, not only for the Hinckley, but the entire university.

“On campus, I love the atmosphere here. There’s so much optimism with young people. That’s what drew me to teaching in the first place because the future is such a bright prospect for young people and it’s invigorating to be around them. I’m looking forward to that part of the Hinckley.”