Beat the Heat: What to Wear to Class in the Summer

Summer in Utah is always hot. Temperatures can stay in the 90 degree range for several weeks at a time. In the middle of the summer, July in particular tends to be a tough month to attend school. Students would much rather be anywhere — somewhere tropical on vacation, or at least spending time outside — than attending classes.

But attend classes they must. Thankfully, there are ways to make this less painful, like dressing cool enough to survive the hot Utah weather and looking good while doing so. All this without having to take hours each morning to make it happen. While your appearance to others may not concern you too significantly, looking presentable ( and like an adult) will get you bonus points from those you meet.

summerstyle3.JPG

One example of a good choice for summer wear would be this outfit sported by U student, Katelyn Ayers, that almost anyone already has in their closet. This outfit is very versatile and with just a few modifications, it could easily suit those going for either a feminine or masculine look. With this style, you don’t have to recycle the same T-shirt you wore the day before and it will still take you less than five minutes to find, put on and be ready for the day. The outfit also allows you to incorporate a bit of your personality.

There are a few simple steps required to make this outfit your own.

First off, wake yourself up by browsing through your closet to pick out a graphic tee or tank that fits your mood. Whether that be one with a Harry Potter insignia you kept from your trip to Universal Studies or one of your favorite band tees, anything will do.

Second, find a pair of fringe denim shorts or, for you masculinely-presenting individuals, a pair of denim shorts will work too. The fringe is specifically good for the more feminine-presenting because it creates an edgy vibe that, when paired with a graphic tee, produces a great 90s grunge look. The 90s grunge is trending right now, so you’d be rocking it to class while feeling stylish.

Next, accessorize. It will only take a few seconds to find the bracelet, ring or necklace that will complete this look most effectively. Accessory pieces allow you to make small statements, and are known for being great conversation starters.

Lastly, don’t forget a pair of sneakers to finish things off. While Converse are a go-to brand that are quite popular on campus and thus a good style to go with, you also have the opportunity to stand out with more bold sneakers in your favorite color, so long as it coordinates with what you are wearing. You can find loads of inexpensive sneakers from Topshop, H&M, Superga, Keds and Forever 21.

summerstyle2.JPG

All done! Now you’ve got a stylish and easy outfit for your upcoming sunny, hot day of classes. To make things even simpler for next week, you can create a new look by simply wearing the same shorts with a different graphic tee.

Simplicity is key.