The England Hub: Good Brews and Great Service

Photo credit: Erin West

If you’re a student in the U’s School of Medicine or the Nursing, Health or Pharmacy Colleges, it’s likely you’re familiar with The England Hub – a small café that suits its name located right in the hub of the U’s Health Sciences campus. Nestled against the Wasatch Mountains on the eastern outskirts of the U’s campus boundaries, it may be hard to find yourself in the area unless you’re a medical student, but it’s time word got out about this charming little café.

You can find The England Hub on the west side of the Eccles Health Sciences Education building. As soon as you step in the door, you’ll feel like a regular – a group which the Hub sees a lot of, according to manager Leila Goodrich. The frequency of customers is not surprising given the service is excellent and the food is even better. As I was a new face to the building, Goodrich even visited my table to introduce herself and welcome me to the café.

The Hub offers Caffe Ibis coffee and specialty drinks. Caffe Ibis originated in Logan, Utah and is focused on triple-certified coffee with organic, fair trade and shade grown (bird-friendly) coffee beans. I tried the liquor flavored Highlander Grogg. Its name may give the impression of a bitter taste that one may associate with liquor, but the dark roast is quite rich and buttery, infused with hints of caramel and vanilla complete with a surprisingly smooth nutty finish.

WEST_HUB-8.jpg
England Hub sous-chef, Carlos Mazanares on Thursday, July 14 2016. Erin West Daily Utah Chronicle

The Hub serves made-to-order breakfast and lunch, as well as pastries, bagels and pizza – most of which are made from scratch by sous-chef, Carlos Mazanares. The café has a lunchroom feel, complete with lunch trays and sliding racks to easily glide past chefs ready to serve your sandwich, breakfast or salad and finish at one of the café’s cashiers on the right or left as you exit.

It’s not unlikely servers will get to know you by name after a few visits, which is impressive considering the café is usually packed with customers. According to Goodrich, the best time to beat the crowd is Monday and Friday mornings. Though the chefs have no problem getting the food made on-site and out quickly, the café is particularly convenient due to its self-serve nature, providing self-pour coffee, soup and grab-n-go items for customers in a hurry.

WEST_HUB.jpg

The location might be a stretch for those who don’t frequent the area, but The Bistro England Hub is certainly worth a visit. With awesome service, plenty of food options and even better coffee, you may find yourself going out of your way to give it a visit.

Summer hours are 7:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

5/5