Who Will Be Utah’s New QB?

Utah Men’s Football junior Brandon Cox (5) stays in the pocket to look for an open man to pass the ball during the Red vs. White game at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday, April 23, 2016

For the first time in four years, Travis Wilson won’t be at the quarterback helm. This season, the starting quarterback position is up for grabs, and there’s a three-way race.

Chase Hansen was expected to compete for the quarterback job this upcoming season — he even competed for it in 2015 to some extent — but he found a different calling as a defensive back. So, with both Wilson and Hansen out of the equation, the person starting under center isn’t as clear-cut as it was before.

Freshman Tyler Huntley and juniors Brandon Cox and Troy Williams are the three vying for that starting title — the most valuable position on the field — as head coach Kyle Whittingham put it.

Freshman quarterback Tyler Huntley (1) participates in spring practice at the Eccles Football Center, Thursday, March, 24, 2016. (Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle)

“To be a good football team you got to have a good quarterback, that’s the nature of the game and that’s the most important position on the field,” Whittingham said in a teleconference following the completion of spring camp.

Through the first couple weeks of spring, the three potential quarterbacks stayed even with each other. According to Whittingham, Williams was starting to pull away, but the junior-college transfer injured his throwing arm and the coaching staff wasn’t willing to risk further injury.

The remaining two would use the extra reps to their advantage. Huntley had to overcome some growing pains as he transitioned from high school to college, but he did so seamlessly. Whittingham thinks he exhibited great maturity and leadership for being an 18-year-old.

“It was very impressive the way he was able to grasp the concepts and what we’re doing,” Whittingham said in a teleconference. “His athleticism is incredible, his quickness in the pocket, his escapability and he can throw on the run. He makes some throws that you don’t see a freshman make, so we’re excited about him.”

In the month when Huntley should have been attending his high school prom and “grad-bash,” he opted to get a head start in his collegiate football career, and because of it, has a better idea of what to expect come fall.

“I’m chasing a dream,” Huntley said.

Cox, on the other hand, has been in the Utah system for a few years. He’s been able to get a better understanding of the offense season after season, waiting in the wings of Wilson, and his knowledge showed in the two scrimmages in April. He outplayed Huntley both times, throwing 18-of-25 in the first outing and 16-of-24 in the second, with a combined total of 381 passing yards and seven passing touchdowns. Huntley finished with a total of 131 passing yards and only threw two touchdowns.

Things changed at the Red-White Spring game. In front of a bigger crowd, Huntley didn’t let the pressure get to him, and instead, he seized the opportunity. He threw for 233 yards on 17-of-26 passing and registered one touchdown. Cox finished 17-of-31 with 146 passing yards and no touchdowns.

However, Cox isn’t too worried about the quarterback competition, he’s worried about the competition on the field — the defense.

“I just try and focus on my job,” Cox said.

Whittingham continually mentioned all throughout spring, Huntley, Williams and Cox will each have a fair shot at the starting role in the fall.

Running Back update

At the end of the 2015 season with Devontae Booker sidelined with an injury, Whittingham constantly referred to Joe Williams as the heir apparent to Booker. However, Booker’s heir may not be as apparent as Whittingham originally thought due to a healthy Troy McCormick.

Utah Men's Football freshman Tyler Huntley (1) hands the ball to senior Joe Williams (28) during the Red vs. White game at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday, April 23, 2016
Utah Men’s Football freshman Tyler Huntley (1) hands the ball to senior Joe Williams (28) during the Red vs. White game at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday, April 23, 2016

McCormick sat out the entire 2015 season after suffering an injury earlier that spring, but he returned full-force in this year’s spring camp, and he plans on giving Williams a run for his money. Williams has a few Pac-12 starts under his belt — a bit more experience that he can certainly use to his advantage. In the three games he started for the Utes, he finished with a total of 399 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

The two running backs do have a good relationship with each other, one where neither player would be upset over who gets the starting job. But at the same time, they push each other to be the best players they can be.

In the Red-White game, neither had stellar performances, but they proved their worth throughout the majority of the spring practices. Williams still might have a leg up over McCormick, just because of that experience, but McCormick is right on his heels.

Utah kicks off its 2016 season at home on Thursday, Sept. 1 against SUU.

@kbrenneisen