Learn About Local Art Scene This Wednesday At Arts Bash

The U offers all students an Arts Pass, which provides free (or discounted) access to art exhibits, dance performances, film screenings, concerts and events at UtahPresents and Pioneer Theatre Company. As William Bennett, former United States Secretary of Education said, “The arts are an essential element of education, just like reading, writing and arithmetic…music, dance, painting and theater are all keys that unlock profound human understanding and accomplishment.” Have you ever wanted see a ballet, check out a musical, or get to see what your fellow classmates are doing with the latest technology in film? Well, now you have the chance to.

Check out this year’s Arts Bash to learn more about the Arts Pass and what kind of great arts opportunities you have access to this semester. The bash, a three hour arts celebration held on Library Plaza in front of the Marriott Library, will take place Aug. 31 at 11 a.m.-2 p.m. There will be a series of booths set up, all full of entertainment and information about what is available to you through the Arts Pass. Grab a passport and visit as many as you can to get a free T-shirt.

Performances from the School of Dance, the Department of Theatre, the School of Music and Pioneer Theatre Company, in addition to a photo booth and free food, will help round out the party.

“The College of Fine Arts is thrilled to present the sixth annual University of Utah Arts Bash. This campus festival is a celebration of the importance of the role the Arts play in the academic and social lives of the students, faculty and staff. My goal is to have as many students who matriculate at the U to have their lives and experiences enriched by the artistic and cultural events that are provided every year by this college,” said Raymond Tymas-Jones, Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Associate Vice President for the Arts.

Arts Bash is the perfect way to kick off your fall semester with fun entertainment while also allowing you to learn about everything that comes with your student ID, or UCard. The list of opportunities is a long one. Have a date coming up? Head on over to the School of Dance to enjoy a myriad of different dance performances. Want to have a fun group night with friends? Check out the latest student films from the Department of Film and Media Arts, you may just be seeing the future nominee for the Sundance Film Festival! Want to take a break from the stress of studying? Enjoy the beautiful talents found within the School of Music and attend a music concert or opera.

Shaylee Tulane, a U student majoring in Gender Studies and Communications said, “It is important for students who are a part of the College of Fine Arts but also those outside of the College of Fine Arts to get a taste of what the university has to offer. I like the variety that Arts Bash showcases.”

For more information about the Arts Bash, visit The Finer Points blog, or check out the Arts Bash post on the Fine Arts webpage.

@alexiscortezxx