Fall Recruitment for Greek Life

Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle
Fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha at the University of Utah on Thursday, August 28, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Greek Life is one of the biggest traditions on campus. The U has ten fraternities and seven sororities, two of which are multicultural chapters. All will all be participating in recruitment this fall.

Kappa Delta Chi is a self-described non-traditional sorority. They are Latina-based and founded on service and academics. Omega Delta Phi is the only multicultural fraternity at the U. Students can contact their chapter representatives to find out more about events they will be having, and information on how to join.

While formal sorority recruitment will occur Sept. 3-6 (students can register online), fraternity recruitment is less formal, students can attend the fraternity chapter house tours on Aug. 31 at 6 p.m. at the James Fletcher Building (across from Greek Row) to meet the members and get a look at all of the houses. Students can also fill out an interest form on the website.

Fraternity Sigma Nu at the University of Utah on Thursday, August 28, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

There are various opportunities for social, academic and philanthropic advancement within the Greek community. Sigma Chi hosts Derby Days benefitting the Huntsman Cancer Institute, Delta Gamma puts on Anchor Slam and Chi Omega holds Scoop a Dish for Make-A-Wish; these events are not just open to active sorority and fraternity men and women, but campus as a whole.

While all students are busy with school, work and everything that college brings, members of every house have expressed a gratitude for their respective chapters. A member of Pi Kappa Alpha, Ryan McGuire, said, “Fraternity life at the University of Utah has not only supplemented my academic experience but enhanced my social and professional life to an extent that I never thought possible. Being a part of a diverse community with similar values has contributed to heightened networking skills and a broadened perspective.”

Many students come from out of state and Greek Life is a fantastic way to meet people who are in a similar situation. For students who have been attending the U for a year or even three, this can be a great chance to forge friendships and connections that extend beyond college.

Sorority Chi Omega at the University of Utah on Thursday, August 28, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

When asked to describe her experience, Liz Reiss, a Chi Omega at the U, said, “One of the major pros of Greek Life is being apart of a community of similarly motivated individuals who encourage each other to do well in and out of the classroom. It’s awesome having connections in many different fraternities and sororities, not just my own chapter. I feel like I have so many opportunities available to me because of the network I have made by going Greek.”

If students are interested in registered for formal sorority recruitment, want to know more about Kappa Delta Chi or Omega Delta Phi, or how to contact any of the fraternities, be sure to check out the Greek Life website here.

@ZoeKozlowski