On the Other Sidelines: Eight Questions With SUU News

Utah fans flash the U during the game; The Utah Utes beat the Utah State Aggies 24-14 at Rice Eccles Stadium on Friday, September 11, 2015

Ahead of the season opener between Utah and SUU, The Utah Chronicle spoke to Jayson Cole, the sports editor from SUU News, to get more insight into the Thunderbirds’ squad.

Q: What are you expecting to see out of SUU?

A: Like every game, I expect them to go out and compete. We have a lot of different players competing for playing time, so I expect a few of them to rise up and claim positions.

Q: What has been a hot topic surrounding the team?

A: A big topic has been the fight over the starting quarterback position. McCoy Hill was named as the starter at the beginning of the week.

Q: What’s different about this year’s team compared to last year’s team?

A: We have three players on an NFL roster, which can take a lot out of a smaller school like Southern Utah University, but a major difference is the experience of our offensive line.

Q: How was SUU able to give Utah State a good fight in 2015?

A: The key for us was the defense. [The Thunderbirds] played great and are expected to do so again [against Utah].

Q: Who do you think is going to shine for SUU against Utah? Who will shine in the regular season?

A: Mike Needham. He was named the 2015 Linebacker of the Year by the College Football Performance Awards, so we are looking to him to shine in this game, as well as throughout the season.

Q: Are there any Utah players who you think pose a threat to SUU?

A: Utah has a very good defensive line, which could present a challenge for SUU’s young offensive line.

Q: What would a win/loss do for SUU?

A: A win would do wonders. Utah has a great football program, and it’s always good to beat great teams. A close loss could still be beneficial. After the Utah State loss last year, our team realized how good they were, and [it] really helped them create an identity that they carried for the rest of the season.

Q: What’s your prediction for the game?

A: I’d have to say 7-35 for Utah.

@kbrenneisen