Football: Utah Hopes to Avoid BYU Hangover

After coming off of a close 20-19 win over BYU, the Utah football team is looking to continue its winning ways on the road against San Jose State. However, that’s easier said than done.

The Utes have a history of having somewhat of hangover after playing their in-state rival, so they’re hoping to keep improving and tightening up on some areas that need work.

Since joining the Pac-12, Utah has scheduled games against BYU early in the season, because of the priority of conference games later down the road. However, these games seem to take a toll on the players, both physically and emotionally, and Utah has gone on to lose every subsequent game following a match with the team down south.

In 2011, the Utes thrashed the Cougars 54-10, but then they lost to Washington the next week. In 2012, Utah beat BYU 24-21, and then it lost to ASU the next time out on the field. Then right before the two year hiatus in 2013, the Utes took down the Cougars 20-13, then they went on to lose to UCLA.

Head coach Kyle Whittingham knows getting through the next game is going to be an uphill battle.

“The key is the rivalry hangover — it has been a factor for us,” Whittingham said. “The first three years in the Pac-12, we win the rivalry and lose the very next week. We got to avoid that this year. When we play the rivalry game early in the season, it [has] had a negative impact on the next game. That’s our challenge this week, not to let it happen.”

Ball security

The Utes turned the ball over six times against the Cougars, and Whittingham knows this is an area of concern for the team. Troy Williams threw three interceptions, and Joe Williams, Boobie Hobbs and Raelon Singleton each fumbled the ball one time. While the Utah defense was able to make up for the offense’s mistakes, the Utah offense can’t continue to throw the ball away.

Troy Williams places the blame for the poor offensive performance on his shoulders, and he’s glad to have gotten his typical bad game out of the way. Every year since his junior year in high school, Troy Williams said he has one bad game, meaning a game where he fumbles the ball three times or throws three interceptions, he just gives the ball away. He’s hoping to bounce back this weekend.

“It was just one of those games, and we have to take ownership of that — I have to take ownership of that being a captain of this team and a leader of the offense,” Troy Williams said.

Joe Williams no longer on the depth chart

After Joe Williams fumbled the ball in the first quarter against BYU, Whittingham benched the senior for the remainder of the half. He kept his grip on the ball a lot tighter in the final 30 minutes when he was on the field, but it wasn’t enough to win over the coaches, and he’s no longer on the Utah depth chart.

Instead, Zack Moss has emerged to the No. 1 spot, and Troy McCormick remains in that No. 2 spot. Moss rushed for a total 58 yards— a good part of those yards coming in Utah’s final offensive stretch — McCormick rushed 62 yards, and Joe Williams finished with just 26.

Although Joe Williams may seem down and out, Isaac Asiata has nothing but faith in his teammate, and Asiata is confident he will return with a renewed focus.

“I don’t want people to be so hard on Joe,” Asiata said. “Things happen, obviously you can’t drop the ball, but Joe is a hell of a running back. He’s done a lot of great things for us. I wouldn’t be so quick to get down on Joe.”

@kbrenneisen