Women Should Have to Sign Up for Draft

The debate regarding if women should be required to register with Selective Service for the draft has been in full motion since last year. When I first heard about the conversation I was against the idea, but as I thought more about it as a woman, veteran and feminist, I would argue women should be required to sign up for the draft just as men do. This is not a black and white issue. Of course there would have to be sub sections of this new law, e.g., both parents leaving a child, etc. Women cannot pick and choose after fighting for the same rights that men have had.

Women have served in combat roles for decades. Women are very capable of having a huge positive influence in the armed forces. I know from my experiences serving alongside some of the most amazing and brave women for six years. Many would argue that women shouldn’t have to register for the draft, because they should stay at home with the children. Well, times have changed. I’m a single mother and deployed for six months away from my child. Was this something I wanted when I volunteered to serve? Absolutely not. But I did it for my country and most importantly, my daughter.

The point is, women are strong. Women are capable. Women have unique qualities to bring to the military, just as men do, and we should all appreciate that. As women are moving forward to show their worth they should also realize the history behind being able to fight for those rights. Freedom isn’t free. I am arguing this because of my belief in strong women, experience and equality – I don’t believe we would ever have to actually use the draft again. It’s a belief in equality that makes my argument.

One of the biggest reasons I have this opinion is because I don’t believe the draft will ever be in effect again. There are many reasons for this. Once a military member’s active-duty enlistment is complete there is a time period afterwards called Inactive Reserve. This is implemented in a contract just for times of “emergency” for our country. In other words, all of those people currently still Inactive Reserve would be called back to serve before a draft would be activated. Also, the military has recently had the largest downsize since the Cold War. The government involuntarily separated tens of thousands of men and women for cut-backs. If we were to need personnel, this is another place people would come from to serve before a draft. Finally, after 9/11 thousands of Americans came forward to volunteer for the service to protect this great nation. If another circumstance happened where people were needed, the unselfishness of more Americans would repeat itself. If you add together just these three possible situations a draft would never happen again.

This is a sensitive issue for many. I understand both sides of the issue. I would never want my daughter to go to war, but she is a part of this country, and I have raised and will continue to raise her to be a strong, capable woman. In my eyes my daughter would be no different than having a son with this issue. I believe in feminism specifically for this reason. There are always complications whenever a new law is made, and when thinking of this subject you have to realize this doesn’t mean every woman is going to be shipped overseas. This is a different time. Technology is different, wars are different and America is different. The point of it all is that when we say “veterans” or “people” that includes women as well. The draft may never be used again, but women should also have to sign up for the draft just like men, because we stand alongside them now, not behind them.