Fun Times and Good Food, A Fair to Remember

Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle
A view over the campgrounds from the top of the Ferris wheel in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, Sept. 9, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Spinning lights, wafts of extraordinary amounts of food and feelings of exuberance await anyone who visits the Utah State Fair this fall.

Located in its normal fairgrounds, the state fair is back and here until Sept. 18th with more rides, games, entertainment, booths — and of course — more food, than ever before. With a myriad of things to do and opportunities to do them, the fair has become an open ended solution to any group’s activity event, popular for not only families, but a hotspot for college students and friends as well. “We’re always up for stuff like this. We came down right after class,” Ben Weiss, a junior at the U, said.

Junior Matt Mangum, attending with girlfriend Sallie Davis, said, “This was our first date last year. We love coming.”

And what is it that keeps people coming back? “There is a great atmosphere at the fair,” said Patrick Nielson, another junior.

A great atmosphere indeed. From browsing the local booths and photography exhibits, to viewing the agriculture and animal contestants, to enjoying the rides and sampling the food, the fair has much to offer.

An absolute staple at any type of carnival is a plethora of unique and fried foods, of which the fair did not disappoint. Favorites of the night included sweet kettle korn, dippin’ dots ice cream, turkey legs and corndogs.

Food was in no short supply. From fried Nutella and Oreos to Korean takeout in a bowl, the food scene was memorable to say the least. “There are a lot of different kinds of food to try. It is a fun environment,” said senior Kristine Hoggard, who enjoyed a sugared funnel cake and some twisted tators.

Performers at the Utah State Fair in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, Sept. 9, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Big Top Circus Spectacular was an added bonus to fair attendance. Requiring free, albeit rapidly pre-distributed tickets, the circus is a 60-minute fast-paced adrenaline fest boasting high line walkers, body performances — think Cirque du Soleil — class-end juggling, and incredibly talented animals.

“We really enjoyed the circus tonight. I liked the skater dude and the tight rope people,” said Brooke Bedford, a junior.

A dog catches a frisbee while diving into water during the Canine Dog Show at the Utah State Fair in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, Sept. 9, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

A particular highlight of the evening were The Canine Stars, a stunt dog show composed of rescue dogs from around the country. Jumping, spinning and diving, these dogs were a hit, as well as were their trainers. Completing a feat such as jumping over a 64-inch tall post was just one of their impressive displays. Dogs also did flips and jumped into a pool of water.

The ever popular hypnotist, Joshua Seth, graced the stage as well.

Other attractions included a top-place photography exhibit, informational booths regarding Utah agriculture, animal viewings—sheep, cows, etc.

Once again, the fair has succeeded in bolstering and uplifting our local community. “I like coming with my wife and friends, it brings us together,” said Derek Jensen, a doctorate student at the U.

The fair will continue until Sept. 18th. Tickets can be bought at Smith’s Grocer for $8 or at the fair for $10. View their website for additional information. http://www.utahstatefair.com/