Frontiers of Science Celebrates 50th year anniversary

Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle
A sign shows Eugenia Kalnay’s discussion about population and climate change at the Frontiers of Science at the U on Thursday, Sept.15, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Frontiers of Science lecture series organized by the College of Science in conjunction with the College of Mines and Earth Sciences.

The annual lecture series features professionals from a variety of scientific fields and institutions who speak about a trending topic.

The featured lectures occur throughout the academic year. This year there are six lectures scheduled, an increase from the usual four, to celebrate the grand anniversary of the program.

Anyone interested in the lecture is welcome to attend and admission is free. Parking will also be free after 5 p.m. on lecture days in the lots directly east and west of the Henry Eyring Building (HEB).

Because there is no specific intended audience, lectures are designed to be understandable to people from a variety of science backgrounds and education.

This year’s lectures will be held on Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 6 p.m. in Room 220 of the Aline Wilmot Skaggs (ASB) Building. An overflow room is also available if needed for popular lectures.

In the past, each lecture has had more than 200 attendees. Many of these are students from local high schools and members of the community, as well as U affiliates.

Eugenia Kalnay speaks about population and climate change at the Frontiers of Science at the U on Thursday, Sept.15, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

The first presentation took place on September 15th and the next will be on November 9th. The upcoming speaker is Dr. Richard Lenski, a professor from the University of Michigan, who will speak about his research on microorganisms and the study of how they evolve in real time.

Future presenters and topics include Harvard professor Dr. Dan Nocera, on global energy and climate change, and the U’s own Cagan Sekercioglu, on the importance of the world’s avian population in global ecosystems. A full schedule can be accessed at http://science.utah.edu/events/frontiers.php.

Videos of every Frontiers of Science lecture are posted to the U College of Science YouTube channel. Recent lectures and those dating back to 2012 can be found here.

@karissawang