City Creek Highlights Fall Fashion Trends

The Limited Models and Designer at the City Creek Mall Fall Fashion Show in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Sept.17, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Shoppers of all ages sat and stood around the fashion runway set up outside Nordstrom near the fountains at City Creek Center recently. Some were passers-by, while others watched the entire show take place, both to find out if they would win anything from the raffle tickets held in their hands or to preview what stores will have for fall.

City Creek Center hosted the Fall Fashion Show on the evening of Sept. 17. The show included several shops within the mall styling clothes and accessories that would be available this coming fall. Good Things Utah hosts Nicea DeGering and Reagan Leadbetter interviewed each store, asking what each model was wearing and what new clothing pieces or trends to expect to see in the stores for the fall season.

A model for Fabletics at the City Creek Mall Fall Fashion Show in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Sept.17, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

A few DJs played music as volunteers modeled different styles of clothing from athletic wear to professional wear, including styles for all ages, and from high- to low-end stores.

Hosts DeGering and Leadbetter started the event off by introducing the spokesperson for Albion Fit, a Utah-based company that features athleisure style. Athleisure has been a major trend in the fashion world for a while and doesn’t seem to be leaving anytime soon. What’s nice about athleisure is that you can wear workout leggings with casual wear to school as it may be more comfortable than jeans and is still stylish. As a plus, you would then already be halfway ready/dressed to go to the gym. Caution: it should be common sense to avoid going to the gym before you wear your outfit to class.

Some other City Creek stores that fit this trend showed off their brands, including Athletica, Solomon and a newer addition to the mall, Fabletics. Fabletics was co-founded by the actress Kate Hudson and the store will have a grand opening Sept. 22-24, complete with a DJ and catering. The store recently opened, so feel free to take a sneak peek if you are in the area before the grand opening if you desire.

For those of you who need a nice suit for a possible job interview, Alan Edmonds, located near Macy’s and Kneaders, has you covered. The show displayed Alan Edmonds vests, ties, dress shirts and more. For you ladies, The Limited has an Eva Longoria clothing line in their store, which was previewed at the fashion show.

A model for Steve Madden at the City Creek Mall Fall Fashion Show in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Sept.17, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Looking for fall boots? Steve Madden had a wide collection on display, and models showed off what looks to be the fall trend: tall lace-up boots.

If you’re searching for basic pieces, Gap has quite a selection of basics such as plain tees, plaid and denim; they even mentioned having overalls. For those who prefer more prints and patterns, Anthropologie may be the place for you since models were featured wearing both.

Alex and Ani, as well as the jewelry store Pandora, were also represented at the show, both making a statement with bracelet stacking.

Coach and Porsche Design fulfilled the more high-end fashion for the event. Porsche Design had its models wear sunglasses, one of its signature style pieces, as well as high-class suits or bags made of unique fabrics from its collaboration with Adidas. Coach incorporated a trend currently popular in the fashion world: fun, expressive patches on jackets. Although Coach prices may not be realistic for a college student, you can take inspiration from its models and find what you like to create your own pieces. Ironing patches onto a jacket you own is one example of how you can do so.

A model for Pandora at the City Creek Mall Fall Fashion Show in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Sept.17, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

From the few stores mentioned here, you can see how many options students like you have when it comes to shopping. Shopping at City Creek is also quite convenient as it is near the U, so if you’re looking for anything from new boots or fall weather clothes, you can find them there. Be sure to check out City Creek Oct. 10-12 for student discounts, gifts and giveaways during the International Student Shopping Day celebration.

@Casualcolie