Great Debate: Nike or Under Armour

[row cols_nr=”2″]

[col size=”6″]

Nike Reigns Supreme

Jared Walch

In the world of sports, there is perhaps no name better known than Nike. The phrase “Just Do It” is a household term. Even people who don’t know or care about sports understand what Nike is and what Nike does. There has been no single brand in sports that has reached the heights of success that Nike has.

Sure, other athletics apparel companies have each had their own share of successes, but unquestionably, Nike rules.

But there is a relatively new up and comer who seeks to challenge Nike and take the throne for themselves. Under Armour has had a lot of success in recent years and has gone from being a small business to one that is represented by NBA superstar Stephen Curry. Indeed, Under Armour has seen its stock rise considerably, netting a 29 percent revenue gain last year, and it is on pace to hit another 25 percent growth this year.

Oregon Ducks running back Royce Freeman (21) stiff-arms Utah linebacker Jarred Norris (41) as he reaches the end zone in the first half against the Utah Utes in Pac-12 action at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore., Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015.

On paper, that looks great. It looks even better when compared to Nike’s 8.2 percent growth rate. You might think that Under Armour is poised to take Nike’s throne in the coming years. But let’s examine these numbers closer. The reason that Under Armour is growing so fast while Nike grows slower is because of Nike’s sheer size.

For example, Under Armour is expecting to hit $5 billion in revenue this year. That is a lot of cheddar, but it still pales in comparison to Nike’s expected $33.9 Billion in revenue. Nike is the undisputed king when it comes to athletic apparel and gear. Because Nike owns so much of the market share, they won’t grow nearly as quickly as Under Armour will.

Let’s state the obvious — you don’t get to be as big and successful as Nike is without doing a lot of things right. Its bread and butter — basketball shoes —continue to dominate the landscape with its lines of Jordans, Kobes, KD’s, Lebrons and even its new Kyrie line. For those who love the look and feel of Nike gear without paying the higher prices of its more premium articles, there are a host of other less expensive Nike options to choose from.

Nike means durability. In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I own products from both brands. But I use my Nike gear more often than my Under Armour gear, because I find it to be higher quality. My Nike shoes that I bought years ago are still used today when I play basketball. Seriously, not many other brands out there can boast that kind of durability.

Nike means quality. Sure, some of its more premium products are a bit more expensive than your average, run of the mill shoe or shirt. But in the end, you get what you pay for, and with Nike that means quality. It has been at the forefront for so long because it has the absolute best people developing their products. You can spend less for something that will break or wear out easier, but you when you choose Nike, you can be assured you are getting the best product possible.

In addition to having the best products, Nike has the best people. What I mean by that is they have their own charitable initiative — the Nike Foundation. The Nike Foundation provides education and humanitarian support all over the world. Simply put, Nike is a class act organization. As I said earlier, you don’t grow to be Nike’s size without doing many things right, and as good as Under Armour is turning out to be, they aren’t, nor will they ever be, Nike.

For the record, Utah’s own Dominique Hatfield had this to say in a now deleted tweet: “UnderArmor cleats are trash idc! Just cause they look good don’t make then good. Smh”

[/col]

[col size=”6″]

Under Armour Is The Brand “Of the Future”

Blake Marshall

Nike is the big dog in the junk yard, but it is a tired dog. An old dog. A dog that feels threatened when young pups come nipping at its heels. Under Armour is that spry young pup that is giving the old dog a run for its money.

Sure, Nike still has its claws clenched tight around most major sports teams and it still sponsors some pretty big names, but mark my words, the tide is changing for Under Armour.

When someone thinks of Nike, they think of His Airness, Michael Jordan. They think of Tiger Woods. They think of Derek Jeter. What do all of these athletes have in common? They are all far past their prime. Sure, 20 years ago everybody wanted to ‘Be Like Mike’, but the game has changed and now everybody wants to be Stephen Curry, and Curry has chosen Under Armour as his shoe and apparel supplier.

It’s the same story with Jeter. When I was playing Little League baseball, I idolized Jeter. I wore my four-inch sweat bands on my forearm and I tried to leap over sliding basemen just like The Captain. But the pinstripes are gone and there is a new face of baseball. His name is Bryce Harper. Harper brings a new edge to the game, one that baseball had been missing since the steroid age. Harper has shucked off the conventions of the game and he has done it while wearing Under Armour.

The list goes on and on of athletes who have jumped the Nike ship and found the golden sands of “Protecting This House.” Just in case there is some doubt of so called ‘elite’ athletes being on the Under Armour roster, here are just a few: Jordan Spieth — golf, Cam Newton — NFL MVP, Clayton Kershaw — Cy Young Award winning pitcher, Tom Brady — we all know who Brady is, Lindsey Von — downhill skier, and last but not least, Michael Phelps — 28-time Olympic medalist (23 gold). Nike is the brand of nostalgia by a long shot, but Under Armour is the brand of the future.

Senior Widereciever Tim Patrick (12) poses after making an open field catch at Rice Eccles Stadium on Friday 23, 2016. Adam Fondren for Daily Utah Chronicle.

If athlete endorsements aren’t enough, there is the matter of the clothing itself. Kevin Plank, founder of Under Armour, came up with the idea of using synthetic fibers for clothing during his time playing football for the University of Maryland. Plank hated having to change his sweat soaked cotton T-shirts (probably Nike) during two-a-days. With his new synthetic Under Armour, he could sweat and sweat and still be comfortable. Any athlete knows that you play best when you are comfortable. When your sweat-soaked clothes stick to you, comfort is out the window.

As if synthetic, moisture-wicking, HeatGear isn’t enough, in 1997 Plank introduced his ColdGear, which keeps athletes cool and dry without adding bulky layers. Gone were the days of wearing a hooded sweatshirt under your shoulder pads. Long gone were the days of bundling up in layer after layer to either find that you added too many layers and couldn’t move, or the layers that were added got wet in the snow and sleet and were ineffective in keeping warm.

Finally, the slogans of the two companies show glaring contrast and, in all reality, Under Armour’s superiority. Nike’s slogan is “Just Do It.”Just do what? It can mean anything. Is sitting on the couch eating potato chips included in “Just Do It?” What about sleeping 19 hours a day? That is doing something, and as Nike’s slogan goes, as long as there is an “It” to “Just Do” then you are keeping in the theme of the brand.

Under Armour, on the other hand, demands, ‘We Must Protect This House’. This house means it is ours. Our home, our field, our court and we will protect it from anyone who tries to impose their will. It is a battle cry that will rally the troops in the darkest of times. This is why Under Armour will only grow, while Nike will continue to see its share of the athletic apparel market shrink as the pup nips at the big dog’s heel.

[/col]

[/row]