Soccer: Nelson’s proudest moment is shutout against Washington

Being a goalkeeper is no piece of cake. According to freshman goalkeeper Carly Nelson, there is a lot of pressure and anxiety associated with the position.

“Knowing that you are the last person standing between [an opponent] and the goal, and it’s your job to keep it out, adds pressure,” Nelson said. “If you don’t keep it out, then you feel like you have the whole world on your shoulders, and it feels like it is your fault, even though it’s not.”

And being a freshman, blocking goals from the veteran players in the Pac-12 doesn’t make matters any easier, but Nelson doesn’t think about her age when she’s out on the field.

“It’s kind of nerve wracking being out there as a freshman and playing,” Nelson said. “But I don’t really think about it in the game though. I just go out there and play, and hope for the best.”

unnamed-5Luckily for the Utah native, Nelson has been able to adapt well to the team this season. Even though she didn’t move too far away from home, other girls have come to the team from around the country, and Nelson feels that everyone has come together and created great chemistry between each other, and they have become a close family.

“I love how close we are,” Nelson said. “Everyone is really supportive on and off the field. Off the field, we are always together, and we are always supportive of everyone’s lives.”

Although it is still early in the season, Nelson feels that the win against Washington — getting the shutout — was her proudest moment as the goalkeeper for the Utah soccer team, because it set the Utes up right for the rest of the season.unnamed

“That game was important,” Nelson said. “It was a major game even though it was the first game of the season. It was really big, and it was a good start to the season. We needed the win.”

After a long battle between the Huskies and the Utes, Utah took home the victory with a 1-0 win after a penalty kick late in the game against Washington on Sept. 23.

“Overall, I thought it was a great way to start off a season,” Nelson said. “It is fun to get out there and play the
first Pac-12 game and get a win with it.”

Manning thinks Nelson has been doing a great job this season, because she has kept opponents from scoring multiple times, and often times she’s the reason why ensuring the Utes either a tied game or a win.

“Being a freshman and being a goalkeeper, she has a lot of responsibility,” Manning said. “She is playing with good confidence and composer, and is making the plays for sure.”

@emileewhiteee