Utes Drop First Game of the Season to Cal 28-23

Another game, another chance to win the game in the closing seconds, but a different result. Utah was trailing Cal 28-23 with less than five minutes left on the clock. The Utes had favorable field position, they started at the Bears’ 49-yard line, and they looked like they could pull off another come-from-behind victory. But that wasn’t the case, and the score would remain 28-23 when all was said and done in Berkley.

Troy Williams hit Raelon Singleton for a 15-yard gain, then after Armand Shyne rushed a couple times for six yards, Moss rushed for 13 yards and Utah was within nine yards of the end zone. The Utes couldn’t get much going after, and they faced a 4th-and-long. Williams tried to hit Singleton for the touchdown, and his misfired, but Cal was flagged for pass interference, so Utah lined up at the 2-yard line with 14 seconds left.

Moss rushed to the left side, but Cal stopped him short of the end zone. Williams nearly hit Evan Moeai for UTah’s final score, but the ball came out of his hands. Moss took the final play, and Cal’s defense held up as the Utes took their first loss of the season.

Utah played without its starting center JJ Dielman and wide receiver Tim Patrick for the majority of the game, and it was apparent that those two players were missed in the final moments of the game.

Troy Williams finished with 266 yards on 26-of-43 passing, no touchdowns. Singleton finished with 98 yards on seven receptions. Armand Shyne finished with 99 yards on 25 carries and two touchdowns and Zack Moss finished with 66 yards on 19 carries.

Utah’s game plan didn’t come to fruition on Cal’s first opening drive. Chad Hansen had a 40-yard receiving touchdown to give the Bears an early 7-0 lead less than two minutes into the game.

After a couple of traded possessions, Cal quarterback Davis Webb found an open Demetris Robertson for a 39-yard touchdown to give Cal a 14-0 lead.

With Dielman leaving the field, the Utes had a few miscues, but the offense eventually made its way into field goal range, and the Utes got on the scoreboard 14-3.

After Cal couldn’t get anything going offensively, the Utes started to find a rhythm. Tim Patrick nearly turned over the ball, but he was ruled down prior to fumbling the ball. The Utes then converted a 4th-and-short to keep their drive alive. Utah failed to get into the end zone, but Cal was called for unsportsmanlike conduct, and Utah got a couple more chances to score. Shyne rushed for a 4-yard touchdown, and Utah was down 14-10.

Following an interception thrown by Webb, Utah missed a 48-yard field goal attempt right before halftime.

Utah had the ball to open up the second half, and Williams led his team all the way down the field, and Shyne rushed for his second touchdown, and he gave the Utes their first lead of the game at 17-14. Cal wouldn’t be on losing side for long, though, and Webb led his offense down the gridiron, and he eventually found Hansen for a 24-yard touchdown, giving Cal a 21-17 lead.

Utah looked like it was going to have to settle for another field goal after facing a 3rd-and-10, but Troy McCormick ran for eight yards to make it a 4th-and-2. The offense stayed out on the field, and the Utes rushed for the first down. A few plays later, just 10 yards out of the endzone, the Utes tried to convert another fourth down, but they came up short after Moss was stopped behind the line of scrimmage.

Cal was looking to build on its lead, and they did. Webb hit Robertson for another touchdown, and the Bears went increased their lead to 11 points, 28-17.

The Utes weren’t done. Williams looked like he hit Tyrone Smith for a 36-yard touchdown, but after review, his knee was down within the one-yard line. Moss finished the job on the next play to give Utah another six points, and then the Utes elected to go for two points.

Williams couldn’t get the ball Singleton, and the score remained 28-23 in favor of the Bears.

@kbrenneisen