Blast From the Past, How the U has changed (and stayed the same) Since the 1980s

It’s homecoming this week, and what better way to celebrate than taking a time machine back to the 80s? The U has evolved over these last 30 years, becoming part of the Pac-12 and tearing down and rebuilding multiple facilities. But despite these changes, the U is still standing and providing students with the education they need.

Want to know how much tuition was in 1980? Don’t have a heart attack. For 15 credit hours in 1980, the cost of tuition was $262 for residents and $678 for non-residents. In comparison, this year tuition was $3703 for residents.

Parking in the 80s was just like it is now — getting parking tickets for illegally parking and a mad mass of cars trying to find at least one parking stall to plant their car. TRAX was non-existent, so one can imagine what parking must’ve been like.

Registration was also a tedious process. There were no computers involved. Registering for classes now takes only a few clicks and a class schedule is automatically generated. Getting signed up for classes in the 80’s was a different story.

First, students would examine a paper general catalog and write down the class schedule they desired with a two or three alternate classes. Then they would either mail or hand deliver the schedules to the administration building. The university would then organize the classes and send out schedules to the students. Students could then add or drop classes during the first week by standing in line at the administration building.

“The first week of classes the [administration building] would be a busy place—like an airport…standing in line with your class schedule and add slips,” said U alumna and KSL co-host Amanda Dickson. “It was a nightmare.”

Computers were not a common commodity in the 80s. Everything was done on a typewriter or handwritten and professors only accepted hard copy papers. Typewriters and white out were very common.

Students in the 80s knew how to have fun too. The Pie was still the popular pizza hangout spot, and parties were some of the best ways to meet people. Popular bars included Green Street at Trolley Square mall and Port o’ Call, which have both gone out of business.

The Union building was a popular hangout spot for most students. In the early 80s, the third floor was a cafeteria.

“That entire hall was full of tables…a sea of tables,” said Dickson.

Around 1982, the food court was moved to the basement.

College fashion included crop tops, fluorescent colors, leg warmers and off-the-shoulder sweatshirts. This attributed to the movie Flash Dance. Everyone loved an excuse to have a coffee break and OSH was still standing.

Although some things are different now compared to the 80s, one thing that alumni and current students have in common is the Ute pride.