Pride Week Celebrates LGBTQ Community

0
12
The Utah Pride Festival parade included a group from the University of Utah to represent the LGBT.

Pride Week 2016 began Wednesday, Sept. 28 with a panel discussion at the Hinckley Institute’s Pizza and Politics forum. This year’s theme is Queering Safe Spaces and will focus on safe spaces and what they mean to people. Pride Week at the U will be Sept. 28-Oct. 6, and will include several events for people to attend.img_6876

“It’s intended to educate, outreach, and to shine a light on the LGBTQ on campus issues, as well as issues that go beyond the campus community,” says C. Kai Medina-Martinez, Director of the LGBT Resource Center.

Here’s a breakdown of events from the Office for Equity and Diversity website that will be held during Pride Week:

Oct. 3

The Brown Boi Project

Blurring the Lines of Gender: How the Future will be Limitless

This event is a workshop that explores race and gender, and how it is integrated into the queer theory. The workshop is sponsored by Voices of Diversity.

Oct. 4

B. Cole Workshop

In this conversation, B. Cole will talk specifically to students of color and provide help in areas such as life planning and higher education.

Sept. 19-Oct. 6

Fearless Project

This photography exhibit by Jeff Sheng features images of LGBT student athletes across the country. The exhibit is in Union Building on the second floor.

Oct. 6

Sky Cubacub

This event is a fashion show that features Rebirth Garments, a line that is QueerCrip fashion and focuses on queer identities and disabilities/disorders. The show will be comprised of local models.

For more information about Pride Week, visit diversity.utah.edu, or follow the Office for Equity and Diversity on their Facebook page.

r.folland@dailyutahchronicle.com

@TheRachEF