the J Willar Marriott library on the University of Utah campus Monday, September 14, 2015.

Students are some of the busiest people on earth. They wake up early for classes and often stay up very late in order to complete homework and study for upcoming tests. This means that there is very little time for anything other than classes and work.

On Nov. 8, every registered voter across the country has the opportunity to vote for the next president of the United States and the U wants to make voting as easy as possible.

On the day of elections, the Marriott Library will be home to a new polling location. This means that students registered in Salt Lake County will be able to go to the library to vote.

“The library is always looking for opportunities to help students maximize their time and efficiency,” said Ian Godfrey, Director of Ops & Logistics for Marriott Library. “When we were approached by ASUU, we immediately wanted to support the effort to bring a convenient voting opportunity to the campus.”

Connor Yakaitis, former Director of Government Relations, started working with the Salt Lake County Clerk and the U to set up this polling location about eight months ago.

Last year, Yakaitis worked with a team from ASUU to making the voting process a little easier for students. They originally wanted to set up the polling location in time for last year’s local election, but couldn’t due to a lack of time.

According to the national Campus Vote Project, the percentage of 18 to 24-year-olds who cast a ballot in the 2014 elections, was at an all-time low of 17 percent. Possible causes included students not knowing the process to vote and they weren’t sure how to register.

As college students, many major life decisions will be made in a matter of years. Where to work, where to live, and many other concerns that could be affected by the next President.

Voting will take place in the Gould Auditorium on the first floor of the library on Nov. 8 from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

In order to vote, students can register to vote online, in person or by mail. The deadline for registering by mail was Oct. 11, while registering online or in person must be done by Nov. 1.

b.bennion@dailyutahchronicle.com

@BennionBrad

Brad Bennion
Brad Bennion has spent the last several years devoting his time to journalism. He's the former online managing editor for the chronicle, and the former editor in chief of the Globe at SLCC.