College Street Style #6: Jaime, the bargain shopper

Health Education major and sophomore Jaime Jasman is our student for this week’s college street style article. The day she was asked about her style, she was wearing black slip-on Vans, dark wash jeans, a t-shirt, a green cardigan and a long gold necklace with blue gems from Lucky Brand. She likes to wear her Vans often as they are easy to put on. Like many other featured students, Jasman finds a comfortable style works best with school. Most of us would agree with her on that, since comfort is essential in creating an outfit for a long day at school studying and going to classes.

SHOPPING TIPS

college-street-style-6-jamies-necklace-from-lucky-brandJasman likes shopping at stores with discounts on name brand clothing such as T.J.Maxx and Ross, but she also likes going to Lucky Brand where she used to work.

“I’m a really big bargain hunter,” Jasman said.

When asked about what clothing items are seen often in her closet, she replied, “I actually really like this green,” pointing to her sweater. “I have a lot of green. I’ve been told that it brings out my eyes.”

I think Jasman would agree that wearing a color that compliments your natural beauty is beneficial in finding your individual style.

If Jasman had the choice of what item of clothing to spend the most money on, her item of choice would be jeans: “I’d pay for a good fit. I always have a hard time with jeans.” Finding jeans that fit how you want them to, so that they don’t bag in odd places and will stay up without a belt, is an almost impossible necessity.

The last piece of clothing she bought? “I actually bought a sweater, a cashmere sweater. It’s super nice,” she said. Purchased from Lucky Brand, this piece is a must-have essential since the material provides extreme comfort in cold weather. Cashmere is somewhat of a luxury item as it is usually on the pricier side, but it is also known for being super soft and the warmth factor certainly contributes to the value.

IN ONE WORD

If Jasman had to describe her style in one word she’d have to go with “comfy.”

college-street-style-6-jasmans-favorite-black-slip-on-vans“It’s very mobile and non-restrictive” she said about her overall outfit choices. Her go-to outfit would mainly consist of a pair of jeans, her Vans, a tee shirt and sweater or layering pieces. You’d also find her wearing workout clothes such as leggings with her every day style since those are also known to be extremely comfortable.

STYLE ADVICE

She had quite a few words of advice for those who are curious about what to wear to school. When asked if she’s ever regretted wearing anything to school she replied, “Yeah, like always. I’m not a very big dress person but I try to be, and then I wear it, and it’s just like either when I sit down it’s too short or it’s really cold that day and I’m just like — that’s a poor decision.”

For you dress-lovers out there, maybe consider adding a pair of leggings underneath during the cold weather months to avoid these mistakes.

Who does she get style inspiration from? “Nobody really famous; I know my older sister has always been into clothes [so I will] just do what she’s doing. She looks good all of the time.” She also shops with her sister. As for trends, she finds layering to be a current trend and enjoys wearing multiple layers.

LESS IS MORE —  OR MORE IS LESS?

“I don’t know, it depends,” Jasman said. “Like definitely for school, less is more just because you want to be comfortable, but I feel like if you’re going out or something, might as well go all out and glam it up.”

Asked about whether or not she thinks a major impacts what someone wears, she responded with, “Maybe. I wear a lot of workout clothes too. So I guess health and workout [correlate with each other].” Overall, she said she likes wearing comfortable clothing, whether that be workout clothes or a t-shirt and jeans.

@Casualcolie