Trash Talk: Hardcore Partying

Going nuts, getting high and playing loud, high velocity hardcore punk that barely exceeds running times of 90 seconds; these are all things that make Trash Talk who they are. Formed in 2005 in Sacramento, Calif., Trash Talk brought their basement sound to venues and festivals all across the globe, including right here in Salt Lake City. Their last two performances in Salt Lake City included a free show at Kilby Court and as an opening act for Suicidal Tendencies at The Depot.

Trash Talk has never failed to give a performance so raw and feral with unhinged ferocity that it would rival that of even the biggest hardcore bands. They’ve made a name for themselves garnering elements of old and new school hardcore, skate punk and thrash, landing them an unlikely label deal with Odd Future Records in 2012.

For those of you out there who aren’t familiar with the OF label, it houses current hip hop heavyweights Tyler, The Creator, Hodgy Beats, MellowHype (former) and Left Brain; so why would this outright rap-oriented label sign a high strung hardcore band? According to rapper L-Boy, the plan was to include more diversity. Since the label garners an audience of both black and white kids, it was a good fit for a genre oriented to a multicultural audience.

The crossover signing has been a success for Trash Talk. They have easily fit the label’s ethos of smoking weed, skating, partying and having a fun, crazy time. They’ve released two albums under OF Records in partnership with their independent label Trash Talk Collective: 119 and No Peace both gaining positive reviews from their fans.

Live, Trash Talk is unbelievable! Hardcore shows are all about raw energy and filtering out aggression and, good God! Do they bring it! I’ve been going to hardcore shows for a few years now and in scope of how shows go, if the band has no energy, then the audience won’t move; but Trash Talk never holds still.

For example, the last time I saw them, which was at the Suicidal Tendencies show at the Depot, they made the under-crowded and over-sized room feel like a basement show. Vocalist Lee Spielman jumped off the stage into the pit and slammed people around, bassist Spencer Pollard grabbed on to the overhanging PA speakers and hoisted himself onto the overhead balcony like he was Spider-Man.

Trash Talk has a way of harnessing that primal rage and lighting a fire in the reptilian brain that very few bands of their caliber can manage similarly. Their straightforward approach and songs so fast that you’ll miss it if you blink set them apart. Trash Talk is a feat to be seen live and in a venue as compact as Kilby Court, insanity is guaranteed. So bring your dancing shoes and your aggression, because this show will get wild.

Kilby Court, 10/22. Tickets at www.ticketfly.com