Troy Williams excited to ‘showcase his talents’

As the Utah football team prepares for its game against Washington this Saturday, Oct. 29, junior Troy Williams can’t help but reflect on his time as quarterback while he was a Husky two years ago. Head coach Kyle Whittingham doesn’t know if it will be an advantage that Williams once played for the opposing school.

“I’ll have to talk to Troy about that,” Whittingham said. “It has been a couple of years since he has been there, and he has evolved, and things have changed, so there could be a few things he can add for us, but for the most part, what you see on film is what you are going to get.”

Williams began his college football career at Washington where he played in five games and started in one. He only suffered one loss, which was against Arizona State. When Williams made his decision to leave the Husky program, Williams said that the hardest part was calling back home.

“[The hardest part was] telling my parents and telling them the whole situation,” Williams said. “And then going back home to my apartment in Seattle and telling my roommates everything that had been going on. A lot of the stuff I was telling them they couldn’t believe and they didn’t really understand, but it was just the best decision for me.”

Williams shed some light on what the breaking point was for him. He said during the Oregon game, he scored his first touchdown, but he was moved to fourth-string after that game. Not knowing why or what the reasons were, Williams knew that it was his time to go.

Williams emphasizes that he isn’t a selfish player, but he was frustrated about the situation. It was hard for him to go through something like that and it is something he would never wish upon his worst enemy.

Fortunately, Williams said that while it wasn’t the right fit for him, he left the Husky program on good terms and his relationship with Washington’s head coach Chris Petersen is cordial. But the relationships that will never falter are the ones he made with the players on the Washington team.

“I’ve built a long and forever-lasting friendship and brothership with those guys,” Williams said. “Those are my brothers up there. I have the utmost respect for all of them. There are a great number of guys I still call, FaceTime, text, and everything. We are brothers so we talk about everything.”

The brotherhood they share won’t stop them from talking some smack between each other. Williams is prepared to hear anything and everything at any point of the game — pregame, warm up or even in a phone call — but he is excited to get out on the field against his former teammates.

Since he has switched programs, Williams said he has changed a lot on and off the field. His love, appreciation, preparation and determination for the game has changed for the better, and since becoming a Ute, it has given him a whole new mindset. And with that, he is excited to show people what he can do.

“I just want to continue to showcase my talents,” Williams said. “My dreams are coming true, and I’m just blessed to be in this position, and I’m looking forward to it.”

@emilewhiteee