A team on the rise

Sophomore wing Malia Nawahine (3) drives to the basket at the Utah vs Montana State basketball game, Friday, March 18, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)

As the 2016 women’s basketball season is set to begin, the Utes are looking to make some noise in the Pac-12. The overarching theme so far on the team has been all about improvement.

“I think where we are right now, what we’re doing is just trying to improve each and every day,” said head coach Lynne Roberts. “We are focusing on taking things one game at a time. We aren’t necessarily concerned with games in the future or what other teams might think of us.”

After finishing with only nine wins a couple of years ago, the Utes made some strides last year, and they doubled their wins with an 18-15 record. The ladies in red also made a third round appearance in the WNIT, marking the Utes’ first post-season appearance in three years.

The message is clear to other teams — the Utes are a program on the rise. Earlier this preseason, Utah was picked to finish eighth in the Pac-12. Redshirt junior Megan Huff sees that ranking as something of an understatement.

“I think a lot of people are underestimating us,” Huff said. “Even though the Pac-12 is the best, most competitive conference in the nation, I feel like a lot of teams don’t understand how good we can be this year.”

However, Huff says that underestimation can be used as an advantage.

“We can come out and surprise a lot of people if they don’t take us seriously,” Huff said with a smile.

One of the strides that the Utes have made this year is their bench depth.

“I think that one of the biggest problems we had last year was our depth,” Roberts said. “If one of our starters was having an off night, we didn’t necessarily have anyone who could come into the game and drop 15 points. I think that this year, our depth has improved significantly. We have a lot of options on offense this season.”

Many of the players and coaches on this team are looking forward to seeing the development of the players and the team as a whole.

“From what I’ve seen so far from our kids during workouts, I can say that I’m very proud of this team,” Roberts said. “I think our biggest goal will be consistency, but we are taking things one at a time and really looking forward to what this year will bring.”

The Utes are returning four of last season’s starters. Of those returning, the one who looks to have perhaps the biggest impact is junior center Emily Potter. Last season, Potter was a Pac-12 All-Conference player, and she led the team in points, rebounds and blocked shots.

But the optimism for the Utes doesn’t stop there. Senior wing Paige Crozon has been described by her coaches and teammates as one of the most versatile players in the conference.

“Emily, Paige and Tanaeya Boclair are the captains of this team, and I think they are as talented as anyone in the conference to be honest,” Roberts said. “I think they expect big things from themselves, and we really look forward to seeing what they can do.”

Coming up first for the Utes is a Thursday morning exhibition game against the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. Following that game, the Utes will host a Saturday afternoon affair against Montana State at the Hunstman center on Nov. 12.

These games are set to begin at 11:oo a.m. and 2:00 p.m., respectively.