Great Debate: Which Williams Matters More?

Utah Football junior quarterback Troy Williams (3) hands off the ball to senior running back Joe Williams (28) during the game vs. the Washington Huskies at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday, October 29, 2016

[row cols_nr=”2″]

[col size=”6″]

Quarterback Should Lead

Blake Marshall

When Joe Williams decided to return to football following his brief ‘retirement’ and he ran for a school record 332 yards against UCLA, Ute fans were in a state of pandemonium. Williams was able to return to the game, fill the injury need, and he thrived against a Pac-12 south rival. Want to know what I was thinking during that game? I was thinking, “Joe is the second most important player with the last name Williams on this Utah team.” Bring on the hate mail. I can take it.

While Joe Williams’ story is compelling and just the kind of feel good story we all need, especially in a season with as much potential as this one still has, in my mind it is Troy Williams who is the most important Williams on the field for the Utes. The junior from Carson, Calif. has brought something to the U that the team hasn’t had since the sainted Brian Johnson hoisted the crystal challis known as the Sugar Bowl — a quarterback.

Sure, it would be easy to argue that Troy Williams hasn’t lived up to his full potential. He has thrown five interceptions this year, a couple of them were in the end zone, and it lead to high blood pressure for Ute fans everywhere. Let’s also remember where we came from as far as the quarterback position is concerned. Travis Wilson, love him or hate him, gave Utah a one dimensional offensive attack. Was that all his doing? Probably not, but with the skill set he possessed, it made it difficult to do anything but pound away on the ground. Troy Williams is not Joe Montana by any means, but he is willing to take the pressure of the throw game on his back and play ball.

Joe Williams is quick — he can run. But you know what Joe Williams can do, too? He can fumble the football. Granted, that problem has seemed to be fixed in retirement, but it has only been two games. Troy Williams, barring a terrible game against the team down south, has been a general on the field. He commands the offense, and he commands the respect of defenses. It is the ability that Troy Williams has to throw sling the pigskin that makes holes open up for the running backs.

Joe Williams is a senior. He is a senior who was unfortunate enough to play back up to Devontae Booker. Joe Williams’ games at the U are now down to five at the most. Being a junior puts Troy Williams ahead in my book. Troy Williams has another year of play, another off-season of work, another spring ball to learn Aaron Roderick’s offense. Troy Williams’ senior season will be a break out year, one that will keep Utah on the glide path to the College Football Playoff.

Have I said that Joe Williams is a bad player? Or that Troy is a better athlete than Joe? No, I haven’t.

Troy Williams is more important to the Utah football program. His impact this season and next will not only keep this team in the national spotlight, but it will create an image for recruits that Utah is a great option to go play quarterback. Imagine that you are a quarterback out of high school, or better yet, a transfer student considering your options. You see Troy Williams come to Utah, win the job over fifth-year senior Brandon Cox and then be given every opportunity to be successful. You see him become a captain his first season or lead the Utes to a Rose Bowl. If it were me, I would look a lot closer at Utah after seeing that and that is why Troy Williams is the better Williams.

[/col]

[col size=”6″]

Trust the Run Game

Jared Walch

Over the course of the season, the Utah football team has played quite well, compiling a 7-2 record, and it recently hosted ESPN’s College GameDay. The Utes have played hard and they have beaten some good teams including USC, UCLA and BYU. Utah also came close to snatching victory from the jaws of defeat in close losses against Cal and Washington.

So far, the success of this Utah team can be directly attributed to the run game.

The Utes started the season somewhat rough in that column, but they have since found a way to be effective on the ground. The Utes have at least five players who have gone for 175 yards or more this season. Two of those five each have over 300 yards and the undisputed rushing king at Utah — Joe Williams — has 758 yards.

While the Utes have been effective through the air as well this season, there is no doubt that the run game is their bread and butter. Just ask UCLA or Oregon State, both of whom were literally ran all over when Utah played them.

It is simple math — Utah is much more effective running the ball than they are throwing it. Not to say that Troy Williams isn’t a good quarterback, because he has had his shining moments. But the identity of this team should be its rushing attack, not necessarily its passing game.

In nine games played so far this year, the Utes have had 203 first downs and 109 — more than half of them — have come from running the ball, compared to just 76 first downs that have happened because of completed passes.

Utah is also more effective scoring when one of the running backs takes the ball. Utah has scored 20 touchdowns on the ground and just nine through the air. Each time the Utes run the ball, on average they gain 4.6 yards per carry. Sure, the passing game nets a few more yards per completion, but that’s what passing does. It’s generally much harder to gain huge yards running the ball than it is to gain them by passing.

But perhaps there is no greater example of running the ball for the Utes than Joe Williams. In his first three games back from a four game retirement, Joe Williams has been nothing short of excellent, tallying 683 yards and six touchdowns. He even set the all time school record with 332 yards against UCLA.

All this goes to show that Utah should move more toward the running game. It’s hard to think of someone replacing the sainted Devontae Booker, but if there is anyone who can rival him, it’s Joe Williams.

Behind Williams, the Utes have serviceable options in Zack Moss and Troy McCormick (even Troy Williams has netted 175 yards on the ground). With so many running options who can attack the defense, why shy away? Why not continue to work with our strengths, rather than against them?

Over the years the Utes have almost always had great running backs who could deliver for them and it is no different this year.

If you want to argue who has had the bigger impact between the two Williams’ on the team, my vote goes to Joe Williams.

The senior revitalized an offense that needed help. He provided energy for the team when they needed it the most. Over the last three games, Joe Williams has averaged nearly 228 yards on 32 carries per game, not to mention his six touchdowns. In that same span, Troy Williams has passed 384 yards, and he has thrown for just two touchdowns.

There is a reason why Utah has moved more from throwing to running — it’s because it works. The Utes will only get better from here, because even though they lost a heartbreaker to Washington, they still control their own destiny in the Pac-12 South. But in order to get better, they need to embrace the run game.

[/col]

[/row]