Athleisure: Making Comfort Fashionable

Second year medical students and sisters Dannen (left) and Shea (right) Weight wear athleisure clothing to and from class on campus at the University of Utah on Wednesday, November 16, 2016

You know those workout sweats you spend most of your time in but don’t actually use for working out? Or those running shoes you tend to wear more while going on errands than you do running? Turns out, you can wear athletic clothes to class without looking like a slob! Mixing your workout clothing with your everyday attire is called athleisure, and it’s a growing trend. Unlike many trends, this one puts comfort as a priority. Who doesn’t want to wear comfortable clothes to class while also looking stylish? Here are a few outfit ideas that will help you make an outfit by including some workout pieces you may have in your closet.

Black Leggings

Black leggings particularly apply to the ladies and they are constantly seen on campus already. But, to prevent yourself from blending in with this commonly worn item, don’t wear them in a way that makes you look as if you stepped out of the gym. That’s not the goal of athleisure; instead, the goal is to achieve an effortless, casual and sporty look while still appearing put together. So, choose to put on a long tee with a plaid top tied around your waist, along with a zip-up sports jacket. For shoes, go for your favorite pair of sneakers to finish the look. This way you won’t look like others who wear black leggings with everything workout-based as if they’ve stepped out of the gym then headed to class. That’s quite inappropriate.

Running shoes

Grab your running shoes — whether they be Nike, Champion, New Balance or another style, to walk to class. If you haven’t noticed already, you need a good pair of workout shoes while walking around campus. You might ask yourself, “How can I still look presentable when wearing my running shoes?” Easy! If your shoes are colorful, let them make the statement for themselves by wearing all black, or go monochromatic with your look. But if your shoes are in a neutral shade, add a pop of color with a beanie, jacket or scarf.

Athletic sweatshirt

Do you have that extremely irresistible, comfortable athletic sweatshirt you can’t stop yourself from wearing every weekend? Don’t keep yourself from wearing it to class! If the sweatshirt is oversized or baggy, wear skinny jeans with it. It’s all about proportions as you want to make sure that part of your outfit fits you just right. For a bit of a twist, top off the look with a classic trench coat. Mixing classic pieces with sporty pieces makes for a unique look.

Track pants

Who knew track pants could look good with clothing pieces other than workout ones? It may be quite shocking, but it is possible to make your track pants suitable for school as long as you pair them with the right pieces. Tuck the front of your tee in while keeping the sides of the tee out, then layer it with a bomber jacket. The bomber jacket is a massive trend which won’t be going anywhere soon, so wear it with your track pants and you won’t go wrong.

There you have it, just a few workout pieces that you can add with your essentials to wear to class. Yes, it is possible to include your workout wear with your everyday clothing without looking frumpy!

@Casualcole