Utah Symphony’s ‘Messiah Sing-In’ Delights

Utah Symphony performs

Ushering in the holiday season, the Utah Symphony and accompanying artists created a captivating atmosphere at their sing-in performance of Handel’s “Messiah” over Thanksgiving weekend.

Christmas and symphony enthusiasts alike gathered to participate in the musical evening, creating an incredibly unifying experience. The common mentality within the room was that of participation and enjoyment of the deeply religious text and music. With robust gusto, audience members stood and proudly sang along with the chamber and symphony choir and orchestra for every combined piece. Approximately 2,700 people gathered to enjoy and participate.

Written by George Frideric Handel in the space of only 24 days, “Messiah” is one of the most impressive and celebrated musical pieces of our time. Finishing the manuscript with the letters “SDG,” Latin for “Soli Deo Gloria” meaning “To God alone the glory,” Handel claimed divine inspiration in his musical composition.

Such emotion was powerfully felt and executed by the symphony. This granted power to Handel’s work throughout the performance. Facilitating a wonderfully refreshing holiday environment, the choir and orchestra in particular captured the essence of Handel’s majestic message.

Using the follow-along feature included within the evening’s program, audience members could anticipate which pieces were to be featured.  The audience was also given cues for specific “sing-in” pieces via bolded titles within the program as well as actual signaling from conductor Eric Schmidt. There were 11 pieces in which one could sing along.

Both the Barenreiter edition and Schirmer’s score were used in the performance. The choir consisted of Westminster Chamber singers, the Westminster community choir and members of the Utah Symphony Chorus.

Particularly moving pieces came from the four guest soloists: Abigail Rethwisch (soprano), Sarah Coit (mezzo-soprano), and Christian Sanders (tenor) and Markel Reed (baritone).

“Why do the nations so furiously rage,” sung by Reed was exceptionally potent. Reed displayed extraordinary control and finesse within his songs.

Rethwisch and Coit sang well separately and complimented each other within the group pieces.

Conductor Schmidt was superb as he directed the orchestra, choir, 4 guest soloists and the audience during the sing along pieces. “For Unto us a Child is Born” was an audience favorite, performed with energy and enthusiasm. “All we like sheep, have gone astray” was an outstanding parallel with haunting chords and subdued tones.

Closing the night off with a stirring rendition of “Worthy is the Lamb—Amen,” the four guest soloists joined in with the choir and audience on the final piece. Another piece in which all were combined was the famous chorus, “Hallelujah!”

With a running time of two hours, the “Messiah Sing-In” was gloriously accomplished with fervor, musical finesse and emotion.