Women’s basketball: Utes ready to host BYU

Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chornicle
Utah Utes Wing Paige Crozon tries to drive past Colorado Buffaloes Forward Zoe Beard-Fails during the University of Utah vs. University of Colorado NCAA Women’s basketball game at the Hunstman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Thursday, Feb. 4th, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

After a convincing 80-50 win on the road against Nevada, the women’s basketball team looks to make an even bigger impression as they play longtime rival BYU this Saturday at the Huntsman Center. The Utes are looking to make some national noise as the game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.

Head coach Lynne Roberts is excited to host the Cougars.

“We’re 8-0 and excited about this weekend’s game against BYU at home,” Roberts said at a recent press conference. “It still feels like the season is just getting started even though we’re almost a third of the way through. We’re still a work in progress, but I’m proud of where we are at right now and I’m looking forward to Saturday.”

Utah is looking to avenge last year’s loss to the Cougars down in Provo. Coming into this game, Utah is one of the best defensive teams in the nation, boasting the fifth best defensive field goal percentage. Teams playing against Utah are averaging just 31 percent from the field and 33 percent from downtown.

The Utes are also fifth in the nation and first in the Pac-12 in blocks per game, as they average seven swats each game.

“Offensively, we’ve been a little inconsistent in terms of our shooting percentages, but defensively we’ve been really good,” Roberts said. “We can’t always control if we are going to shoot well, how the games are officiated or what the other team does, but we can always control how we defend. The team has really bought into that and I think our depth plays a factor in that.

For the Utes, this is their best start ever under Roberts, and the best start for the program in recent years. But beating BYU may prove to be difficult, as the team down south boasts a respectable 6-3 record.

“We’ve had a great start to the season, and this will be a really good challenge for us,” said senior wing Paige Crozon. “BYU is a really good team. Just going in, I think we need to do the things that have allowed us to be successful all season.”

For a team that has struggled at times on offense, there is no lack of confidence. For Crozon, the key to be successful is the team’s defense.

“I know it sounds cliché, but the best offense is a good defense,” Crozon said. “I think if we use our defense to generate some energy and momentum for us offensively, we can be successful. I think we need to get the ball into [Junior forward Emily] Potter, and then knock down open outside shots.”

Junior guard Malia Nawahine thinks the Utes have what it takes to be successful. After shooting 50 percent from the field against Nevada, Nawahine believes the Utes are in for another hot shooting night.

“Our whole goal with the Nevada game was to shoot better, and we did that. We executed and made all of our plays,” Nawahine said. “I think that’s a good thing coming into this weekend, because BYU is definitely a good team. I think we can replicate our good shooting. We’re at home, we’re comfortable with these rims, we’re going to have all of our fans. I think it will be a great game for us.”

Doors open at the Huntsman center at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday. Any fans wearing red will receive free admission. Tip off is at 5:30 p.m.

@JaredWalch