Utah Falls to Washington

Ute Megan Jacobs goes in for a layup against Husky Katie Collier during the Utah Utes 53-82 loss against the Washington Huskies at Hunstman Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, Feb. 3, 2017. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

The University of Utah women’s basketball team looked to capitalize on their win against Colorado as the team hosted No. 10 Washington at the Huntsman Center on Friday, Feb. 3. However, an upset wasn’t in the cards for the Utes and they came away with an 82-53 loss.

The Huskies jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead in the first few minutes of the game before Utah fought back. The Utes shot the ball well in the first quarter, connecting on 44 percent of their shots and 50 percent from deep. Washington also nailed a high percentage of their shots, hitting 50 percent from the field.

“Honestly, I didn’t think our defense was the issue tonight,” said head coach Lynne Roberts. “We haven’t played anyone who transitions from defense to offense that fast all season and it was a little bit eye opening. In the half court, I thought our defense was pretty good.”

Washington’s transition game was on point tonight, as the Huskies outscored the Utes in fast break points 28-10 at the end of the game.

While it is always tough to lose any game, Roberts said the game doesn’t change the team’s outlook.

“If we had won tonight, it doesn’t change the fact that we’ve got to get up tomorrow and get ready for [Washington State],” Roberts said. “We’ve played them now, so when we play them at their place, we’ll adjust and do some things differently. This league is so hard, we just have to take it on the chin and move on. No one is going to feel sorry for us so we shouldn’t either.”

Utah kept it close throughout much of the first quarter, but a 5-0 run by the Huskies gave the visiting team a nine point lead going into the second, 24-15.

It was the second quarter, however, where Washington outscored the Utes 21-10, taking a 20 point lead at the half. During the second, the Huskies shot 47 percent from the field and 40 percent from deep while the Utes struggled, connecting on 4-18, shooting a 22 percent mark. By halftime, the nation’s leading rebounder, Washington’s Chantel Osahor, had a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds.

In the third quarter, the Utes played better, but still struggled getting the ball in the hoop. Roberts thought the team’s main problem was that they had a difficult time scoring.

Difficult sums up the Utes’ shooting performance, as they connected on just 21-70 shots — a 30 percent mark.

Despite the poor shooting performance by the team, there were a few bright spots. Freshman wing Megan Jacobs was the leading scorer for Utah with 14 points. Wendy Anae added a career high 13 points and six rebounds. Junior wing Tanaeya Boclair was the third Ute in double figures with 10.

“Wendy and Megan were awesome,” Roberts said. “What I wanted from this game was for our players to be fearless and aggressive and have nothing to lose.”

Jacobs played fearlessly, tallying 14 points on 5-13 shooting.

“I saw this game as an opportunity and we had nothing to lose,” Jacobs said. “I think the biggest thing with me is confidence and I think I’m starting to gain my team’s trust and my coaches’ trust. I just take it day by day to get better.”

Up next for the Utes is an afternoon home game against the Washington State Cougars on Sunday, Feb. 5. The game is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. MT.

@JaredWalch