Young the Giant Brings Up Immigration in Exciting Show (review)

A line of excited fans wrapped around the block in anticipation of the sold out Saturday, Feb. 4 show at The Complex. Young the Giant headlined the concert, performing songs from their new album “Home of the Strange” and featuring a theme on marginalization coupled with a modern American immigrant story.

Lewis Del Mar, based in New York, opened the show playing songs from their self-titled debut album. Danny Miller, the lead singer, seemed pleased with the crowd, saying that the crowd was their biggest yet. Miller introduced the band and, sticking with the tour’s theme, announced that they were a band of immigrants. He then added his belief that politics do not need to be a racial issue.

Young the Giant took to the stage soon after, giving the audience a non-stop, energetic show. Kicking things off with “Jungle Youth” and “Something to Believe In”, energy was high. Lead singer, Sameer Gadhia, said with appreciation that years ago they were performing at the tiny local venue, Kilby Court, and now they were headlining a sold out show.

During the song “Art Exhibit” Gadhia wound things down a bit and played the ukulele under a spotlight. In addition to their latest music, Young the Giant also performed songs from previous albums including “Apartment,” which Gadhia dedicated to his earliest fans.

During “Firelight,” he asked the audience to raise their cellphone lights or lighters and sway from side to side.

The audience stayed put after the explosive end of the set with “Home of the Strange,” refusing to leave and chanting for an encore. They got it, Young the Giant returned on stage to play “Amerika,” “Silvertongue” and finally, “My Body.”