‘Academics United’ at University of Utah Voice Opposition to Immigration Ban

Feb. 9, 2017, Salt Lake City—Academics United gathered with students and administration at the University of Utah in the East Courtyard of the Marriott library at 12 p.m. in protest of the recent travel and immigration ban—an order which affects students and scholars.

The U’s peaceful protest stood unified with an estimated 56 demonstrations at universities across the nation Thursday.

The U’s rally had at least 100 attendees. Supporters were encouraged to wear white and held white balloons as a symbol of peace. A student representative expressed that the movement began when students throughout the country wanted to join as a community.

The hashtag #AcademicsUnited links to footage from supporters at the nation-wide events as they posted photos, videos and thoughts.

Student Jennifer Boyer said, “I was surprised by the number of people that attended. It was great to see support for our classmates. I think more diversity is better on campus. It’s important to be exposed to it during one’s college experience.”

On Jan. 27, 2017 President Donald J. Trump signed an executive order that bans refugees and nationals from seven Muslim countries from entering or re-entering the country with any form of visa. This ban and order is temporary for 90 days although it is difficult to predict the outcome.

“No hate. No fear. Immigrants are welcome here,” was chanted by supporters.

Students, scholars gathered at Universities across the U.S. John’s Hopkins University held a protest at at 12 p.m. Friday to stand with Academics United.

The purpose of this movement is to demonstrate support for citizens and refugees from the seven countries who are affected by the recent travel ban. Another purpose is to separate academics from politics and for international students to be able to freely exercise their careers and education outside of the United States of America.

“We want you here. You belong here,” one student said to another.

“Science has no borders; neither does humanity.” Was a common theme among the event. Students also held signs. A few of them read “I haven’t seen my family in 4 years.”

Dr. David Kieda, Dean of the Graduate school at the U, was a speaker. He expressed support to international students on behalf of the school’s Associated Students of the University of Utah. He extended a promise to students, “The U promises that your journey is ours. You’ll reach your dreams. We will work with you to find solutions. We will help you make it to the next day.” He encouraged students to be involved on campus in return.

A student expressed his concern towards the possibility of his family being absent from his graduation ceremony as he graduates with a Ph.D. He expressed the importance for a student to be with their family as they achieve their goals and dreams and the pain of knowing that may be delayed.

“It’s a justified cause. It is so heartwarming to see students take time out of their busy schedules to support their classmates and this cause”, said international student John Vo.

@claudiarobles