Red Rocks Taking on Oregon State

After a shaky win against California, the University of Utah gymnastics team is headed to Corvallis to compete against Oregon State this Saturday, Feb. 11.

Last week in the Huntsman Center, the Red Rocks stayed undefeated in the Pac-12 after defeating the Bears. However, it was touch and go for the Utes after they struggled on bars, and the score was tied between the schools in the second rotation.

Co-head coach Megan Marsden said that during their coaches meeting on Monday, her and fellow co-head coach Tom Farden felt like the girls seemed a bit distracted at times during warm-ups before the meet against Cal.

“Tom felt like things weren’t organized enough and we didn’t move efficiently enough through the 15 minute warm-up,” Marsden said. “The girls didn’t hit some of their stuff, so it was reflected in their performances.”

Marsden added that they were going to focus more on their preparation in practice, and they were even going to simulate a 15 minute warm-up with all of those who are involved. Looking forward to their next challenge, Marsden is excited about another road-meet scenario that involves flying, dealing with nutrition, rest and prep on the road.

Against the Beavers, Utah is 65-9-1 all-time, and they are 17-8 in Corvallis, but last year at the 2016 Pac-12 Championships, the two teams tied with each other for second. Before the championships, the Utes had won the dual meet against Oregon State earlier and beat the Beavers five consecutive time.

Marsden mentioned that her girls are still working to stick more vault landings and beam dismounts. Marsden said that in order to walk away with another win, the Red Rocks will need to pay close attention to those details.

For senior Baely Rowe, her and the rest of the team are looking forward to a solid week of practice to get back on track after last weekend and are excited to travel. Rowe added that if they stay focused on the meet ahead, the team will perform at a high level. 

“If we just keep doing what we are doing and keep doing what we do in practice, we will compete like we have every week,” Rowe said. “[Last week] was one little meet where we had some mistakes, but if we focus on that in practice and focus on the little things, we will have that confidence back when we compete on Saturday.”

The meet is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. MT .

@emileewhiteee