Plan B Theatre, ‘Virtue’ (review)

Photo by Rick Pollock

In a story of love, loss and personal connection to God, “Virtue” examines the life of Hildegard, a holy woman in Germany during the twelfth century. Plan B Theatre Company brings Hildegard to life in their production, which opened this last weekend at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center.

Theatrical elements come together beautifully in this production. The dialogue, written by local playwright and U faculty Tim Slover, captures the heightened language of an event that occurred long ago, while still remaining accessible to audiences of this time.

The characters are drawn as real, human and flawed individuals, each on their own journey discovering how to connect with the divine. All four actors bring incredible depth to the experience.

Christy Summerhays plays the prioress Hildegard with a lovely delicacy. Her performance is subtle, playing the slightest inflections and wry smiles as well as the joy and exuberance of Hildegard’s spiritual visions that make up Hildegard’s complex identity.

Emilie Starr, who plays opposite Summerhays as Richardis, plays the full range of her character as well. Richardis internally struggles between what she feels is the right thing to do and what she truly loves.

S.A. Rogers and Jay Perry provide two excellent male perspectives in the story as well. Rogers’ portrayal of Volmar, a monk who aids Hildegard in her visions, shows a passion and dedication that speaks to the highest respect for Hildegard’s work, although he may not fully understand it. On the other hand, Perry’s performance as the abbot Cuno manages to keep an air of humor and charm, even when his motivations are clearly not in Hildegard’s best interests.

The magnitude of “Virtue” is encapsulated elegantly in Thomas George’s set and Jerry Rapier’s directing. The audience sits on both sides of the set, allowing for intimate observation of the narrative. The action moves quickly and effortlessly, allowing multiple actions to occur simultaneously without distracting from the story.

“Virtue” communicates an important message regarding our perceptions of truth, love and religion. Hildegard’s conflict is honest and rings with a timely voice of a woman’s responsibility to herself and her community. She challenges not only the status quo but also her own moral compass. It perhaps mirrors a recognition that truth itself is fluid—rather than an unmovable set of facts. Perhaps instead truth, like a tree, can continue to evolve and grow. “Virtue” presents the idea that if we may be honest and authentic with our true selves, we may find our own happiness, even when others may challenge us. By coming into the story with an open heart, audiences may find it a transformative experience.

“Virtue” runs through Feb. 26 at the Rose Wagner Theatre. Tickets are currently sold out, but there is a waitlist available at the door one hour prior to curtain. Patrons must arrive in person to be placed on the waitlist and check back five minutes before the show begins. Staff will accommodate as many patrons as possible and will provide a refund once seats are no longer available. For more information about “Virtue” and Plan B Theatre Company, their website is available here: http://planbtheatre.org/virtue/.