The Key to Acceleration is Hydration

Daniel McArthur, Utah Swim and Dive team August 31, 2015 in Salt Lake City, UT. (Photo / Steve C. Wilson / University of Utah)

The ultimate key ingredient when it comes to an athlete’s ability to function  is as simple as it gets — water. The most refreshing and vital substance any athlete at the University of Utah is guaranteed to have with them at all times.

For the swimmers at Utah, they train quite frequently during the week to compete on the weekends, so they keep a water bottle constantly at their sides. These Utes ensure they are staying very hydrated in and out of the water. The two key elements — water and hydration — can ultimately help and benefit an athlete. When it comes to sophomore Daniel McArthur’s road to hydration it’s nothing short of water, tea and orange gatorade.

This half gatorade, half water hydration master is from Lakewood, Calif. where he first began swimming when we was four years old.

“I started swimming because all of my older siblings swam and my parents just wanted to make sure I could be water safe,” McArthur said.

Swimming for 16 years has shaped McArthur into the athlete he is today. Many years have shown him how beneficial water is to his daily routine. Hydration and hydrating correctly are extremely important for McArthur.

“[The team has] these water bottles we get handed at the start of the year,” McArthur said. “I probably go through about five of them a day plus a lot of tea. Hydration is a good part of getting through the day and getting through the workouts.”

Swimmers use everything they have trained for to engage their strength and speed in order to come out with a win by touching the wall before their competitor. But that can take a lot of energy out of the athlete. Utah’s swim team is full of talented individuals. Although these athletes compete in water that doesn’t mean they don’t break a visual sweat.

“Even when you’re swimming you’re still sweating a lot,” McArthur said. “You don’t really see it or feel it because you’re in the water but you do still sweat a lot. Plus we’re doing a lot of dry-land activities [and] weight-lifting activities so you’re sweating the whole time. So staying hydrated whether you’re on deck or in the water is important.”

After being on the team for two years, McArthur has already made a name for himself as a Ute. During the 2015-2016 season, McArthur competed at the U.S Olympic Trials where he finished in 58th overall in the 100-meter backstroke, touching at a time of 56.49.

Before trials, McArthur competed at the Pac-12 Championships and came in 14th in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:47.20 and 100-yard back (48.08). McArthur recorded a few season best-times as well last season in the 100 (47.62) and 200-yard back (1:43.15)  and the 200-yard IM (1:46.95) at the Art Adams Invitational.

The Utes have been preparing all year for the Pac-12 Swimming Championships that is coming up in March. Strength, talent and hydration are all important things to keep in mind when it comes to  competing as a Ute during the championships. But the most important thought for the Utes is how far they have come in the 2016-2017 season as well as how far they will continue to go.

“I love our team dynamic,” McArthur said. “I love that we’re a team on the rise. Even though we’re not nationally recognized as a top level team yet, I think we can definitely get there pretty quick. I like being on that upward jump.”

@mk_lopez02