February Campus Crime Report

Chronicle+archives
Chronicle archives

PRESIDENT’S CIRCLE TOILET-PAPERED

On the night of Saturday, Feb. 4, police responded to reports of three individuals throwing toilet paper on the trees in President’s Circle. The suspects had no affiliation with the University of Utah. Sgt. Garth Smith of the U’s police department (UPD) that they were apologetic and cleaned up all of the toilet paper. No one was cited.

MAN KICKED OUT OF UNION FOR DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR

A man who the police report described as “transient” was asked to leave the Union building on Feb. 10 after shouting profanities at students. Smith said UPD hasn’t had problems with this individual before. The man wasn’t cited and he is allowed to return to campus.

ASIAN STUDENT RECIEVES HATE MESSAGES

An Asian student at the U received several messages on her phone telling her to go back to her country on Feb. 10. Police have identified the caller, who is not a student. After an investigation, UPD determined that the messages didn’t constitute a crime, so the suspect will not face charges, said Smith.

LARGE AMOUNTS OF CASH AND CAMERA STOLEN AT PHC

A Nikon D3200 camera and 54,000 Kenyan shillings – the equivalent of $521 – were taken from a student at the Peterson Heritage Center (PHC) on Feb. 21. The suspect was identified with security camera footage and has been located. Smith said the incident is still under investigation.

DISRUPTIVE DOG AT THE UNION

Police were called to the Union on Feb. 24 when a dog left unattended in a car in the parking lot was repeatedly honking the horn. The owner of the dog and vehicle was notified and they took care of the problem. There weren’t any citations issued. Here is a video a student took: https://www.facebook.com/karina.i.soriano/posts/10212438521064329