Red Rocks Selected for Fayetteville Regional

0
123
The University of Utah Women's Gymnastics Redrocks wave to the crowd after winning the meet with Stanford at the John M. Huntsman Center on Friday, March 3, 2017 (Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

On Monday, the University of Utah gymnastics team was selected to go to the Fayetteville Regional in Arkansas. Utah will enter the meet as top seed and will be joined by Denver, California, Auburn, Arkansas and Central Michigan.

“We are excited to be headed to the NCAA Regional Championship in Arkansas,” said co-head coach Megan Marsden. “I think it was just two years ago when we were there for another competition, so we have kind of been there and done that.”

At this point in the season, Marsden wants the Red Rocks to be focused on nothing but gymnastics and she hopes her girls can keep any concerns about other competition at a minimum.

“It is more about what we are trying to get done in order to continue to move through the qualification process,” Marsden said. “Every regional is packed with talent, and it will be difficult to move on unless you are not only hitting the routines but also sticking elements. It only gets greater in terms of what it takes to move forward.”

As for freshman MyKayla Skinner, she can’t wait to get out on the floor and do what she knows best, and is excited to experience the new competitiveness of regionals.

“It is going to be really fun,” Skinner said. “I’ve never been there, and the team is really excited about it. We are just going to go out there and have fun.”

The meet is set to begin on Saturday, April 1 at 3 p.m. MT.

e.white@dailyutahchronicle.com

@emileewhiteee

Emilee White
Emilee White has been at The Daily Utah Chronicle for over a year, and she is currently the the assistant sports editor. She started her sports writing career with SwimSwam, and she has done an internship with the Deseret News.