Student Assaulted with Pepper Spray in Dormitory on Campus

0
838

A University of Utah student living in Gateway Heights apartments on campus was assaulted in their room early Friday morning.

Around 2:15 a.m., an unidentified male knocked on the victim’s door while covering the peephole. When the student opened the door, they were sprayed in the face with pepper spray.

An email from the U’s Department of Housing and Residential Education (HRE) says that the suspect was wearing a gray hoodie sweatshirt that was two-tone in color with dark gray that faded into a lighter gray, gray shorts over gray spandex-like pants, gray tennis shoes, some type of gray cover over their nose and mouth, and orange-tinted ski goggles. The suspect is approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall and has a slender build.

According to HRE, there haven’t been any reports of similar criminal activity.

Police are asking anyone with information related to the crime to call 801-585-2677.

The Daily Utah Chronicle will update this story as more information becomes available.

e.anderson@dailyutahchronicle.com

Emily Anderson
Emily is the news editor at the Daily Utah Chronicle. She studies journalism and the Middle East. Since 2015, Emily has covered stories from nearly every beat at the Chronicle. She is also a contributor at SLUG Magazine, and has interned with RadioWest, KUER News and The Salt Lake Tribune.