Foscalina Seizes Opportunity on the Field

It can be a hard task to tackle — a freshman trying to earn time on the diamond — but Dominic Foscalina has not just stepped on the diamond every now and then, but he has started multiple games in left field and several as the designated hitter.

Foscalina did not get much recognition at the beginning of the year. His name was not often talked about, and like all new Utes when they begin their first year as a part of the University of Utah baseball team, he needed to show what he could bring to the table. This season, Foscalina has taken advantage of the opportunities he has been given, and he has shown what he is capable of contributing. This freshman may be in his first season of college ball, but this game is not new to him and by the way he is playing, he is sending that reminder to all.

“I was really comfortable coming in,” Foscalina said. “It’s just a great group of guys to play around and all the work we put in all added up, and when the opportunity came I knew I would be able to take advantage of it.”

Foscalina has been helping both offensively and defensively for Utah. After playing a few games in the outfield, he admits that he had to shake off some nerves, take a step back and remind himself that it is just baseball — a game he has played his whole life. That helped him relax and get into a routine so he would be able to hold down a part of the outfield.

“He’s progressed very well,” said head coach Bill Kinneberg.“He came in as a guy that could do a lot of things, play infield, play outfield. We just thought he was best fitted for playing outfield.”

At the plate, the young face looks calm and in control. His presence has been felt as he has gotten key hits for the Utes and has helped lift the offense.

“He’s made his way into the lineup through his work and production,” Kinneberg said. “He’s going to be a good player here.”

The California native is continuing to learn every time he takes the field. There are bound to be rough patches that he will need to overcome and learning experiences to grow from, but Foscalina knows what it will take to beat the trials. Trusting the process is something that the Utah baseball staff has preached to its players, and that is the biggest lesson this freshman has learned this season.

Not letting bad days get him down but instead looking ahead and getting to the next day is helping Foscalina succeed.

“No matter what the situation is, you just got to stick with the process and trust what you’re doing every day is going to pay off at some point,” Foscalina said.

Looking at the remainder of the season, Foscalina hopes to continue helping his team get series wins, and he hopes to contribute in a positive way as Utah keeps the postseason as its ultimate goal.

“I just want to say that I left it all out on the field for the guys that I’m playing with,” Foscalina said.

The confidence Foscalina posses and the desire he has to succeed has helped him earn his time on the field. The freshman who was hardly talked about at the beginning of the season is showing that No. 29 is more than just a number. The Ute who sports those double digits on the back of his jersey may be in his first year at Utah, but while he is having to learn on the go, Foscalina is not letting anything hold him back with the opportunities he has to prove himself.

@Britt_Colindres

• M

Michael ReddApr 25, 2017 at 9:16 am

From the BB practice field “Grounds Guys” (Ron, Dan, & Redd) gr8 article about a gr8 young man, his teammates, his coaches & their program! Trust the process! #GoUtes!!