Time to Celebrate at the Utah Arts Festival

Utah Arts Festival, Music Venue. Photo Credit: UAF.

The largest outdoor, multi-disciplinary arts event in the state is being held for the 41st time this June in Library Square — labeled the Utah Arts Festival, this year’s theme is “We are UNITED IN ART.”

“We believe the most important community conversations can start with the arts, and everybody can find a place at the Utah Arts Festival to be a part of it,” said Lisa Sewell, Executive Director of the Utah Arts Festival.

She added, “bringing art directly into the streets is an effective cornerstone for uniting us as a creative and inspired community.”

The festival will feature a number of different venues including visual, literary and technology-driven art demonstrations and workshops. With six performing stages that will feature international, national and local musicians and performers and programs in literary arts, visual arts, kid’s activities, dance performances, musical commissions, street theater, art & technology, urban arts, film and culinary arts — the festival has something for everyone.

The Festival features 160+ visual artists and 100+ performing arts groups, drawing 80,000+ participants each June to celebrate artistic expression. Focusing on shared experiences and hands-on participation in the arts, it provides an appropriate venue for all ages to engage in the arts.

This year will feature two venues dedicated exclusively to children and teens, titled “Kids Art Yard” and “Urban Art Yard” respectively. The latter will include the graffiti makeover of a bus Volkswagen or a chance to paint one of 100 tiles to create the annual 20-foot tall 100 Artists/1 image installation, a mosaic piece of street-inspired expression.

The Utah High School Fine Arts Traveling Exhibition, one of the nation’s oldest shows of this type, will also be featured at the festival. It highlights the art of many Utah high school graduates.

“Fear No Film” is a film competition which attracts nearly 500 submissions annually. The film venue features short film in a juried and audience vote-based competition, and two-thirds of the films typically come from outside of Utah and the United States.

Among this year’s featured music performers are Shooter Jennings, Waymore Outlaws, RJD2 (Ramble Jon Krohn) as well as local performers the Saliva Sisters and Sambo Fogo.

The 41st Utah Arts Festival will be held from noon to 11 p.m. on Thursday, June 22, 2017 to Sunday, June 25, 2017 at Library Square, 400 South and 200 East in downtown Salt Lake City.

Adult admission is $12 at the gate, $8 in advance. Reduced adult admission is available for opening day at $10, with a $6 lunchtime special on Thursday and Friday noon to 3 p.m. Seniors 65 years old and above are allowed in for $6. Children 12 and under are free. A four-day pass is $35, $30 when purchased in advance online at uaf.org.

For more information regarding the festival, visit uaf.org or search @utahartsfest #UnitedinArt.