Masculine Fashion Alternatives: Summertime Trousers

Zac Fox

For many, summer and the weeks leading up to it entail wearing shorts nearly every day. While this may keep you cool and comfortable, it definitely won’t be turning too many heads. Summer can sometimes be a frustrating time of year during which those who consider themselves more fashionably inclined feel very limited in what they can wear.

I am hoping to offer up some versatile, breathable and most of all, fashionable alternatives which will be sure keep you in season without compromising your stylistic vision.

One of the reasons guys tend to resort to shorts when the weather gets warmer is because the material is generally more breathable, apart from ending at or just above the knee. Denim can become unbearably hot when temperatures exceed 80 degrees, and that’s where a nice, lightweight chino comes in handy.

UO Easton Skinny Stretch Chino Pant- $49.00
These awesome alternatives to skinny jeans come at an affordable price in a wide variety of colors. Although black is never a bad idea, the Blush and Slate color-ways are perfect for late spring and summer. To ensure the best breathability for these, I recommend giving them two rolls at the bottom hem. The lightweight material also comes with some stretch so you won’t feel too restricted. When it comes to styling these chinos, I would stick to whites and pastels of a similar shade. Paired with some Stan Smiths, this is an excellent way to give your look a light pop of color.

UO Asher Relaxed Cropped Dress Pant – $64.00
Certainly a little more daring, mostly because of its unique construction and cropped ankle, these are an affordable alternative for those looking to recreate elegant silhouettes popularized by high-end designers. I can’t decide whether it’s the pronounced cropped ankle and the gathered, billowing rise or it’s vibrant navy color that sets these trousers apart. Regardless, for the price, these are a great opportunity for many to test their stylistic boundaries. A tucked-in white T-shirt with tonal shades of blue would certainly do these trousers justice. As far as shoes go, the outfit can be dressed down with some Stans or dressed up with some gorgeous Cobden derbies from Dr. Martens.

Whereas many men’s fashion trends relating to bottom wear have experienced a short shelf-life—think joggers and overly-distressed denim, cropped trousers have been around for quite a while and show no sign of fading. Like denim, high-quality trousers are an excellent item to invest in. Keeping that in mind, we are going to venture into more expensive territory.

Chapter Mars Pant – $160.00
Chapter is a menswear brand based out of L.A. that has become synonymous with consistently releasing fresh takes on men’s trousers. Their Spring/Summer ’17 collection is remarkable, even without their statement bottom-wear pieces. This first option mixes elegant construction and eye-catching detailing masterfully. The Navy color-way is a cut above the rest, and subtle design details like a contrasting waistband and zipper fastened back pocket add the right amount of flare. Style carefully and let these trousers speak for themselves. Only refined footwear like the Cobden or the Adrian need apply. The top half should also be kept monochromatic.

Chapter Venic Trouser – $168.00
Sporting a slightly more refined look, the Venic trousers feature a more tapered fit and unique stainless steel hoops, which are fastened to the belt loop. These only come in black and are by far Chapter’s smartest trouser from their Spring/Summer ’17 collection. Another added bonus is the piping which runs along the outside of the pant. These trousers allow for a tad more experimentation; louder prints and various fabrics are more than welcome on top while the outfit would profit most from the aforementioned Dr. Martens derbies or a pair of White Common Projects Achilles Low.

On a side note, while most shorts are entirely dull and difficult to style, here are a few refined options to help you cheat on those 95 and up degree days.

Daniel Patrick Roaming Short III in Wheat – $150.00

Chapter Irro Short in Black Spec – $175.00

Daniel Patrick Track Trunk in Black and Yellow – $225.00

Keep an eye out for sales in the final weeks of August since some of these items may be marked down as brands begin releasing their Fall/Winter ’17 collections. Summer can be stifling, but that doesn’t mean it has to stifle your fashion-forward tendencies.

@daanielsonn